Thinkpad I series 1200 power light on but wont turn on

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by kpatrickm, Aug 8, 2007.

1. kpatrickm

kpatrickm Private E-2

Hello
    Bit of a long 1 this.A while ago I had a problem with the power connector on my laptop.When I opened it up I could see the little jack had come away from the mother board,so a bit of soldering was in order,it did the trick and it worked fine.Then the same problem again so out with the solder.Now when I plug in the power adaptor the green indicator light comes on but when I press the power button it wont turn on,the harddrive doesnt spin the fan doesnt kick in NOTHING.If I remove the battery and just try to power the laptop with the adaptor the power light doesnt even come on,its the same if I just try to power it with the battery.I have replaced the CMOS battery but its the same deal.I have been reading up on this and it seems it could be any number of things.The laptop is the I series 1200 type 1161.There isnt any additional memory sticks installed so I dont think it could be that.I would really apreciate any help on this as it really is doing my head in.Cheers

2. Turcoloco

Turcoloco MajorGeek

It sounds like you went a little too solder-happy and over-soldered something causing a short or something like that. Not sure but I'd suggest you go back and check for that possibility....on the other hand a hw component might be in need of replacing?

Good Luck.

3. kpatrickm

kpatrickm Private E-2

I am indeed a HUGE idiot.When I was putting the laptop together again I had 1 of the keyboard connectors the wrong way round.Thanks for replying anyway mate.I will just go and hit my head of a wall now.

4. hopperdave2000

hopperdave2000 MajorGeek

So... it's working now? :D In any case, I'm impressed that you were able to do the soldering yourself, and TWICE no less!! I did it once on a friend's laptop, and it worked, but I'll NEVER do it again!!! My nerves are way too shot for such steady and tiny work!!!! Good job man!

hd2k

MajorGeeks.Com Menu

Downloads All In One Tweaks \ Android \ Anti-Malware \ Anti-Virus \ Appearance \ Backup \ Browsers \ CD\DVD\Blu-Ray \ Covert Ops \ Drive Utilities \ Drivers \ Graphics \ Internet Tools \ Multimedia \ Networking \ Office Tools \ PC Games \ System Tools \ Mac/Apple/Ipad Downloads

Other News: Top Downloads \ News (Tech) \ Off Base (Other Websites News) \ Way Off Base (Offbeat Stories and Pics)

Social: Facebook \ YouTube \ Twitter \ Tumblr \ Pintrest \ RSS Feeds