Downloading too much while surfing??

Discussion in 'Software' started by Dynamix, Feb 22, 2003.

1. Dynamix

Dynamix Private E-2

Hi all,

My friend seems to be having a problem involving surfing web pages. While web pages are loading there seems to be a considerable amount of bytes being downloaded. I have checked teh computer for spy ware and back door hackers and there seem to be none present. In 30 minutes (about 3 full pages) well over 2 megabytes has been downloaded.

Any ideas on why so much could be getting downloaded?

Thanks in advance.

2. dperino

dperino Capt. Caveman

I heard about a setting for downloading web pages for offline viewing, automatically. Might be the case?

3. Dynamix

Dynamix Private E-2

possibly, any idea how i can check the settings for it?

Internet Explorer 6 is the browser being used by the way.

4. dperino

dperino Capt. Caveman

I think it is a third party add on. Check what he has downloaded.

5. G.T.

G.T. R.I.P February 4, 2007. You will be missed.

Also, a lot of the internet speed-up apps download pages that you MIGHT go to from the page you're requesting, and may be stacking up pages just in case. Is he using one of those?

6. mutz_nutz_uk

mutz_nutz_uk Private First Class

IE6 may be set up to Synchronize your web pages while you surf.

To check this, click TOOLS > Synchronize > Set Up and look to see what pages are ticked to Sychronize Automatically.

Also, try Control Panel > Internet Options > General Tab, then click Temporary Internet Files > Settings and make sure that the "Check for newer Versions of Internet Pages" is set to Automatically, and that the size is minimal.

There are some settings for forcing pages to be downloaded for Offline Browsing whereby IE downloads all the linked pages from the page you are visiting. Cannot remember how to turn this off, but will try to check and get back to you.

7. Vlad902

Vlad902 Guest

Does the page have lots of graphics? :D. The case might be that you're using encryption (SSL?) to connect there adn everything is encrypted therefore taking up more time to download.

8. dalic

dalic Private E-2

Vlad902 looove your sig

MajorGeeks.Com Menu

Downloads All In One Tweaks \ Android \ Anti-Malware \ Anti-Virus \ Appearance \ Backup \ Browsers \ CD\DVD\Blu-Ray \ Covert Ops \ Drive Utilities \ Drivers \ Graphics \ Internet Tools \ Multimedia \ Networking \ Office Tools \ PC Games \ System Tools \ Mac/Apple/Ipad Downloads

Other News: Top Downloads \ News (Tech) \ Off Base (Other Websites News) \ Way Off Base (Offbeat Stories and Pics)

Social: Facebook \ YouTube \ Twitter \ Tumblr \ Pintrest \ RSS Feeds