System imeadiately goes to powersave mode

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by Sandwarrior, Aug 8, 2007.

1. Sandwarrior

Sandwarrior Private E-2

We have a Sony VAIO VGC-RA820G, Intel Pentium 4 540 / 3.2 GHz with an Intel 915P Express chipset, 800 mhz, running windows XP. As soon as you turn the computer on, it goes into powersave mode. I have swapped the monitor, and it is not the monitor. We have also tried the restore disk, tried booting from the XP Cd, and tried entering BIOS. None of these things have worked. Can anybody give me a clue of what else to check?

2. Turcoloco

Turcoloco MajorGeek

I suggest you review my reply on this other thread. I believe the cause of your problem is likely to be the same.

3. Sandwarrior

Sandwarrior Private E-2

Okay, I will check those Items out. With the BIOS, if I can't see anything on the screen (monitor is in powersave mode and will not wakeup) how do I check the BIOS information and settings?

4. baklogic

baklogic The Tinkerer

Following Torcoloco advice, it is also possible that the pc has hibernated.
    If you , first of all do the checks as advised, then on starting your pc, press del ,or, f2 (usually one of these will get you into the Bios)
    If it will not come on, then, switch off, unplug power cord, and , you can try moving the jumper on the motherboard (usuall low right hand side near the bottom of the motherboard), Take it off the two pins it is on (usually 1 and 2), and put it on 2 and 3, for about 30 seconds , or, so, and then replace it.
    This will reset the Bios to default, and then try starting again, after reconnecting power.
    If the Bios screen comes on , before moving the jumper, then click 'load defaults', click f10, click Y, click enter, and your computer shoild restart.
    Come back and let us know if this solves it.

Last edited: Aug 9, 2007

MajorGeeks.Com Menu

Downloads All In One Tweaks \ Android \ Anti-Malware \ Anti-Virus \ Appearance \ Backup \ Browsers \ CD\DVD\Blu-Ray \ Covert Ops \ Drive Utilities \ Drivers \ Graphics \ Internet Tools \ Multimedia \ Networking \ Office Tools \ PC Games \ System Tools \ Mac/Apple/Ipad Downloads

Other News: Top Downloads \ News (Tech) \ Off Base (Other Websites News) \ Way Off Base (Offbeat Stories and Pics)

Social: Facebook \ YouTube \ Twitter \ Tumblr \ Pintrest \ RSS Feeds