variable speed vs. non variable fans???

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by gimpster123, Aug 9, 2007.

1. gimpster123

gimpster123 Bring out the Gimp.

So on a a nonvariable speed fan, there's no way to control the speed, correct?

Would a fan controller be able to regulate the speed by adjusting the power level??

thanks,
    gimp

2. ItsWendy

ItsWendy MajorGeek

A nonvariable speed fan can not vary it's speed. It's internal electronics is fixed, the nonvariables with a sensor are to allow the motherboard to know when a catastrophic failure has occured and to allow the motherboard to shut down while there is still time.

That same circuitry is fairly voltage indepentent, so that doesn't work either.

3. viper_boy403

viper_boy403 MajorGeek

somewhat true. Ive got a Vantec Nexus fan controller and it came with a molex-to-3pin adapter which allows me to control the speed of ANY fans just my changing the power given to the fans

4. gimpster123

allright, so with the right fan controller, i can vary the speeds, good to know. Now im looking for a fan controller that does not vary the speed by flicking the power on and off. Im trying to control LED fans, so I don't want them to flicker. My current fav. store is Newegg, but this spec isn't listed on the fan controllers there.

Black 4 or 5 way controller, 3.5 in bay preferably, cannot cause flickering, any suggestions?

5. viper_boy403

viper_boy403 MajorGeek

the one i use doesnt bother my LED fans at all. here's the 3.5in version similar to what I have: http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16813999504

it says u arent supposed to connect more than one fan per channel but i tried it and it works perfectly fine if 4 fans isnt enough

or u can get this one which is also a light controller and comes with 2 cathodes, onyl controls 3 fans though: http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16813999902

Ive got the bigger version of this one^^

6. gimpster123

thanks for the info, i think ill go with the 4 channel non-lit one.

Thanks again,
    Gimpster

MajorGeeks.Com Menu

Downloads All In One Tweaks \ Android \ Anti-Malware \ Anti-Virus \ Appearance \ Backup \ Browsers \ CD\DVD\Blu-Ray \ Covert Ops \ Drive Utilities \ Drivers \ Graphics \ Internet Tools \ Multimedia \ Networking \ Office Tools \ PC Games \ System Tools \ Mac/Apple/Ipad Downloads

Other News: Top Downloads \ News (Tech) \ Off Base (Other Websites News) \ Way Off Base (Offbeat Stories and Pics)

Social: Facebook \ YouTube \ Twitter \ Tumblr \ Pintrest \ RSS Feeds