lockin problem

Discussion in 'Software' started by ChrisC, Feb 23, 2003.

1. ChrisC

ChrisC Private First Class

OK, i am having a problem with my computer crashing. First off, i have unoverclocked it and made the RAM timings the same as my grandma would use. (the overclock was crap, neway).
    Well, my computer will now somewhat randomly freeze. When it does this, it locks up, the screen turns black, with a mouse cursor blurred across the screen. Also, the hdd is doing something like crazy.
    Originally, i thought that maybe the video card was loose (i broke the lock thing on the mobo). So, i checked it, and it was still very snug. I tried puttling it out when the computer was on, but the screw held tight, and the computer continued to work fine.
    Also, it will only lock like this when i try to do something somewhat strenous, like open up brittanica encyclopedia, or switch to word from the internet. If i am idly typing on MSN, or just the internet, the computer is fine.
    I am using Windows XP Pro SP1, on a Shuttle AK31A mobo. 256MB Kingston PC2100 ddr ram, with a sis315 vid card (ewwww). Maxtor 80gb hdd aswell.

ANyone have any suggestions?

2. mutz_nutz_uk

mutz_nutz_uk Private First Class

Sounds like you may have over - underclocked the PC.

Try using the settings somewhere in between what you had, and what you now have. You may have underclocked your memeory too far, causing a bottleneck in the Bus.

Only other solution would be to do with software running in the background eating up all your CPU cycles. Try using AdAware 6.0 (Found on the MG downloads) and JV16 powertools. Between them, they will ensure PC is running optimally software wise.

Hope this helps

Oh, and for the love of God.

NEVER TRY TO REMOVE A CARD FROM YOUR PC WHILE IT IS SWITCHED ON!!!!!!

Not unless you have the money, and time, to buy a whole new PC.

Why do people think it will be OK to play with sensitive electrical items with power going through them :rolleyes:

3. ChrisC

ChrisC Private First Class

I was just trying to wiggle it, i thought that perhaps it was moving enought to cause the computer to crash; as i once removed an ethernet card and that crashed the comp :p

4. flessa

flessa Private First Class

Cuz sometimes we have brain farts?

5. mutz_nutz_uk

mutz_nutz_uk Private First Class

Hmmmm. Do they smell like real ones???

Nice thought train there flessa. :rolleyes:

6. flessa

flessa Private First Class

Yeah, well, been there and done stupid things. And I ain't no spring chicken either. Been around electricity long enough to know it's nothing to fool around with.

Did you forget (probably) that I tried to kill this computer on Christmas Day when I tried to plug in a power cord to the hard drive and got that LOVELY spark? I thought the computer was shut off but it wasn't. I was so afraid that I killed the entire machine. Luckily, the only thing I fried was the memory stick and not the CPU, mobo, or drive.

Guess you could say that made a fine stink in my living room. Or was it just the blue air from all those fine words I learned when hubby was in the Air Force? :D:D:D

MajorGeeks.Com Menu

Downloads All In One Tweaks \ Android \ Anti-Malware \ Anti-Virus \ Appearance \ Backup \ Browsers \ CD\DVD\Blu-Ray \ Covert Ops \ Drive Utilities \ Drivers \ Graphics \ Internet Tools \ Multimedia \ Networking \ Office Tools \ PC Games \ System Tools \ Mac/Apple/Ipad Downloads

Other News: Top Downloads \ News (Tech) \ Off Base (Other Websites News) \ Way Off Base (Offbeat Stories and Pics)

Social: Facebook \ YouTube \ Twitter \ Tumblr \ Pintrest \ RSS Feeds