stuck at 'aquiring IP address'

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by Flooz, Aug 10, 2007.

1. Flooz

Flooz Private First Class

Wonder if anyone can help me?

I had a home wireless network set up, with my desktop connected to the internet via speetouch moden (wired), and a belkin wireless adapter for the home network, and a laptop with a netgear card (accessing the internet via the desktop) - all worked fine for a couple of years.......

I've just moved and now have a slightly different set up. I've a wired router to connect to the internet, and i've had to use the laptop as the connection, as my desktop doesn't have an ethernet cable socket.

So, I run the wireless network wizard on each pc again, to change round the host and client stuff, so the home network recognises the laptop now as the host and the desktop as the client.

Unfortunately, although the laptop is showing as connected to the network, the desktop pc continnually gets stuck at 'acquiring IP address'.

I'm afraid I haven't got a clue why and how to get the network working again.

What confuses me more, is that in network connections, both my wireless network and my internet connection are showing under LAN or high speed internet connection - whereas prior to my moving, My internet connection and my wireless network were showing in different categories - if you know what I mean. I also have showing a 1394 connection showing in the same category - although i don't know what this is.

I'm not too technical, so if you can help, please keep it simple for me.

Any assistance greatfully appreciated. :confused

2. Adrynalyne

Adrynalyne Guest

Have you tried any different channels?

3. Flooz

Hi Adrynalyne, thanks for taking the time to reply.

I have tried other channels but with no success. :(

4. Adrynalyne

Adrynalyne Guest

5. Flooz

Thanks for your help. i've gone through the thread, but to be honest, it's just confused me. i'm not particularly good with technical stuff and didn't understand some of the thread.

What's winsock? is it something I need or have already?

As for firewall - i'm only using the windows built in firewall? I think.......

6. Flooz

Not sure if I've done something right or not, but i've set the IP and DNS gateway manually (picking the IP address from my internet connection). The network will now connect - but only briefly, before dropping the connection.

Is there something else I might have missed?

Thanks in advance for your continued help.

7. Flooz

Well, i think i've got the network working, although I am still unable to browse the net from the client computer. I've got the internet connection on the host pc set to shared, but i'm not sure if there's something else I've missed.

Any further advise would be gratefully received.

:wave

MajorGeeks.Com Menu

Downloads All In One Tweaks \ Android \ Anti-Malware \ Anti-Virus \ Appearance \ Backup \ Browsers \ CD\DVD\Blu-Ray \ Covert Ops \ Drive Utilities \ Drivers \ Graphics \ Internet Tools \ Multimedia \ Networking \ Office Tools \ PC Games \ System Tools \ Mac/Apple/Ipad Downloads

Other News: Top Downloads \ News (Tech) \ Off Base (Other Websites News) \ Way Off Base (Offbeat Stories and Pics)

Social: Facebook \ YouTube \ Twitter \ Tumblr \ Pintrest \ RSS Feeds