Are these compatible?

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by attiliov, Aug 10, 2007.

1. attiliov

attiliov Private First Class

2. Fred_G

Fred_G Heat packin' geek

The first 3 or four motherboards are DDR RAM. The RAM you are asking about is RDRAM if I am not mistaken.

RDRAM is not compatible with DDR RAM.

E

3. hopperdave2000

hopperdave2000 MajorGeek

No. I didn't look at every board's individual specs, but RDRAM is more-or-less obsolete (even tho' it is fast and great for OC'ing if your MB supports it). Generall y speaking, RDRAM was popular about 4 years ago. It was the fastest RAM at the time (by far) but it never caught on: it was EXPENSIVE, it had to be in identical pairs, empty slots had to be filled with 'risers' (I think they were called risers), and the RAM was very picky (what worked in one MB sometimes wouldn't run in any other boards). Also, RDRAM (aka RAMBUS) was generally only found on socket 423 Pentium 4 boards (but not always- there were a few socket 478 boards that used RDRAM). So, NO! The RAM you linked to will not run with any of the boards listed, which is a good thing. RDRAM is a majorleague PITA!

hd2k

Stick with DDR2 on the motherboard you're looking to buy. It's just as fast (or faster) and most MB's these days support serious OC'ing of both the CPU and RAM (if OC'ing is what you're after).

4. attiliov

Well I may need a new motherboard for my computer and I was looking for one that would support the RAM I already owned. Do you think its possible to find a motherboard that would support my RAM?

5. Fred_G

Fred_G Heat packin' geek

As far as finding a mobo for that RAM, maybe Ebay? I know Dell used some RDRAM several years ago, you might find something there. Unless you need to use that RAM for some particular reason, it might be time to just upgrade the whole computer. DDR RAM is pretty cheap now. Just my .02 on the upgrade part. If you really need to find a RDRAM mobo, Ebay would be my first thought.

Good Luck!

E

Last edited: Aug 11, 2007
  6. hopperdave2000

hopperdave2000 MajorGeek

Yep- EBay. Nobody is making mobo's that support RDRAM these days.... like I said above; it's more-or-less obsolete. Some Dell's used it (as Fred mentioned) as well as some Gateway's. Tomorrow I can post the exact model of a socket 478 Gateway that uses RDRAM. I don't have the PC here, it's at work....

hd2k

7. attiliov

Alright well thanks guys, I appreciate all the help. I'll look into Ebay see if I can find anything cheap enough, or maybe I'll just upgrade like you said. Once again thanks alot.

MajorGeeks.Com Menu

Downloads All In One Tweaks \ Android \ Anti-Malware \ Anti-Virus \ Appearance \ Backup \ Browsers \ CD\DVD\Blu-Ray \ Covert Ops \ Drive Utilities \ Drivers \ Graphics \ Internet Tools \ Multimedia \ Networking \ Office Tools \ PC Games \ System Tools \ Mac/Apple/Ipad Downloads

Other News: Top Downloads \ News (Tech) \ Off Base (Other Websites News) \ Way Off Base (Offbeat Stories and Pics)

Social: Facebook \ YouTube \ Twitter \ Tumblr \ Pintrest \ RSS Feeds