Wifi Woes. Connects strangely.

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by Jdban, Aug 11, 2007.

1. Jdban

Jdban Corporal

This problem started out of the blue. I believe that it might be DNS problem.

What first happened was that my wifi adapter was unable to connect to the network. (I tried 2 networks, and neither works.) It kept saying "acquiring network address" when I would try to connect.

I tried to solve this problem by telling it which DNS server to connect to. I gave it the addresses that my router company recommends. I did not tell it the IP to use. This didn't help.

Now, what happens is truly odd. As I use the computer, at some point (seemingly randomly) the computer suddenly says "acquiring network address" and I am not able to receive enough signal even to ping anything. The way that I have found to fix this is frustrating and lengthy, and only a temporary fix at that. I have to restart 1 - 3 times and then it works. It works, until it randomly stops working.

I took a video of my wifi connection settings after it stopped working.
    http://www.screencast.com/t/GSWgynXRRv

I would appreciate any help.
    Thanks in advance.

-Jason

2. Adrynalyne

Adrynalyne Guest

Have you tried any different channels? Not all channels will work properly, due to outside interference, and even wireless nic and driver revisions.

3. Jdban

Jdban Corporal

What do you mean channels?
    I've been using this connection (and the neighbor's connection) this same way, and it has always worked before.

4. Adrynalyne

Adrynalyne Guest

Outside interference isnt a static thing, so it could change.

Your wireless router has multiple channels. Most have 11 (In the US anyway). Give it a shot.

5. Jdban

Jdban Corporal

Oh, I get what you mean. I'll switch it.

I'll post if it helps or not.

6. Adrynalyne

Adrynalyne Guest

Sounds good.

I found higher numbered channels typically work better than lower, but YMMV.

7. Jdban

Jdban Corporal

That didnt work. Same problem

8. Adrynalyne

Adrynalyne Guest

Using any firewalls? Does it connect ok with wep or wpa turned off?

What does your winsock show?

[​IMG]

9. Jdban

Jdban Corporal

I am not running any firewalls on my computer. (although, I just uninstalled a firewall that I had been running a while ago)

I should have mentioned that i am in xp. I dont know how to get into winsock in xp.

The main network that I am using has a password. The other (neighbors) network that also doesnt work (but used to work) does not have a password.

10. Jdban

Jdban Corporal

That was it. It was the damn comodo firewall I had. I just uninstalled it, and now I am able to connect to my connection, and my neighbors connection. The firewall wasn't even running, but it still managed to screw up my internet. Thank you so much

11. Jdban

Jdban Corporal

well, actually, I cant be sure that its fixed until my computer has been successfully connected for an hour or two. But I think that its fixed.

12. Adrynalyne

Adrynalyne Guest

Glad I could help.

For future reference, the program I used to show that winsock info is msinfo32. You can access it by start, run. The information is located in the same area.

MajorGeeks.Com Menu

Downloads All In One Tweaks \ Android \ Anti-Malware \ Anti-Virus \ Appearance \ Backup \ Browsers \ CD\DVD\Blu-Ray \ Covert Ops \ Drive Utilities \ Drivers \ Graphics \ Internet Tools \ Multimedia \ Networking \ Office Tools \ PC Games \ System Tools \ Mac/Apple/Ipad Downloads

Other News: Top Downloads \ News (Tech) \ Off Base (Other Websites News) \ Way Off Base (Offbeat Stories and Pics)

Social: Facebook \ YouTube \ Twitter \ Tumblr \ Pintrest \ RSS Feeds