Missing CD Rom Drive

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by kzhang16, Aug 11, 2007.

1. kzhang16

kzhang16 Private E-2

Then your particular issue is probably not the one listed in this thread. Please start a new thread with all of your symptoms, error messages, pertinent hardware and OS information, and any errors codes in Device Manager.

When there's a CD in the drive it seems to be loading it, but the computer doesn't recognize it. The tray can open/close. No CDs/DVDs can be read through it.

I use Windows XP Pro

Here is a screenshot of the device manager:

[​IMG]

I've tried using those cdgone, cdfix registry edits, but they still do not work. I've uninstalled iTunes and Daemon Tools as they may have been a part of the problem.

Thanks

2. Adrynalyne

Adrynalyne Guest

Re: CD Drive Missing on My Computer

Yeah see, thats not even the same issue here. The original poster of this thread had it listed in Device Manager--you do not.

I'm goign to split this off as its own thread as its not related.

My first thought is that the IDE ribbon cable has come loose. Have you tried reseating it?

3. kzhang16

kzhang16 Private E-2

I have no idea which one is the IDE cable is, but I do have my computer case open so I can check.

4. Adrynalyne

Adrynalyne Guest

Be careful, make sure you are grounded to the computer case to prevent static electricity.

Follow the CD/DVD drive back--you will see a flat (maybe round) cable with a wide connector coming out the back. If you don't, its not even hooked up ;)

Do you see it?

5. kzhang16

kzhang16 Private E-2

yeah I see it, but where is it supposed to connect to?

6. Adrynalyne

Adrynalyne Guest

Pictures!

http://www.fonerbooks.com/r_cd.htm

Grey cable is the data(ribbon cable), white one is the power cable, which is plugged in from what you's told me.

Make sure your machine is off and unplugged before manipulating these cables.

7. kzhang16

kzhang16 Private E-2

yeah they're all connected to something and look fine I think

8. Adrynalyne

Adrynalyne Guest

Did you try reseating it though?

Remove it and reattach it.

Also, check your BIOS and make sure the drive is detected there.

9. kzhang16

kzhang16 Private E-2

yes! i see my cd drive in my computer again

thanks!

10. Adrynalyne

Adrynalyne Guest

Glad to help :)

MajorGeeks.Com Menu

Downloads All In One Tweaks \ Android \ Anti-Malware \ Anti-Virus \ Appearance \ Backup \ Browsers \ CD\DVD\Blu-Ray \ Covert Ops \ Drive Utilities \ Drivers \ Graphics \ Internet Tools \ Multimedia \ Networking \ Office Tools \ PC Games \ System Tools \ Mac/Apple/Ipad Downloads

Other News: Top Downloads \ News (Tech) \ Off Base (Other Websites News) \ Way Off Base (Offbeat Stories and Pics)

Social: Facebook \ YouTube \ Twitter \ Tumblr \ Pintrest \ RSS Feeds