installing 2nd harddrive, help please

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by lynette00, Aug 12, 2007.

1. lynette00

lynette00 Private E-2

I am really a novice when it comes to the hardware side of things, i have installed 2nd harddrive segate 15.3 GB, i have the cable ribbons done properly, and i am sure i have the jumpers set properly, but i cant find the drive under disk management and its not regonzied in the bios either, thinking maybe the jumpers are not correct, also on startup the drive makes really loud noises, maybe a faulty drive? any ideas please would be great

2. hopperdave2000

hopperdave2000 MajorGeek

If it is making really loud obnoxious sounds, there's a good chance that it is dead. Seeing as it's only a 15gb drive, that tells me that it's pretty freekin' old. One way to see if it's really dead: power down the PC and unplug the power cord from the wall. Open the case and put the drive in question on its own cable on IDE0 (or IDE1, whatever the first IDE channel is). Be sure no other IDE devices are connected (no CD's or other hard drives). If there's another hard drive in the system besides the one to be tested, disconnect the power from it to avoid any possible (but unlikely) damage. After making sure the drive to be tested is on IDE channel 1 by itself, and that it's jumpered to Master or Single (some older Western Digital drives have a Single setting), power up the PC and go into BIOS and see if the drive is recognized. You may need to run the Auto Detect option if available. If the drive doesn't show up, it's dead and it's time to move on. If it does show up, go to the drive maker's web site and download and run their diagnostic tool on the drive to check it's overall health and integrity.... Jeeez, this post got real long and wordy; I apologize ;)

hd2k

MajorGeeks.Com Menu

Downloads All In One Tweaks \ Android \ Anti-Malware \ Anti-Virus \ Appearance \ Backup \ Browsers \ CD\DVD\Blu-Ray \ Covert Ops \ Drive Utilities \ Drivers \ Graphics \ Internet Tools \ Multimedia \ Networking \ Office Tools \ PC Games \ System Tools \ Mac/Apple/Ipad Downloads

Other News: Top Downloads \ News (Tech) \ Off Base (Other Websites News) \ Way Off Base (Offbeat Stories and Pics)

Social: Facebook \ YouTube \ Twitter \ Tumblr \ Pintrest \ RSS Feeds