Laptop suddenly cannot detect dial tone?

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by irishred513, Aug 13, 2007.

1. irishred513

irishred513 Private E-2

My daughter has a Toshiba satellite laptop. It has windows vista basic and is about 6 months old. Last night it suddenly would not detect a dial tone when trying to use aol 9.0. It was functioning fine the night before. All other aspects of the laptop appear to be fine. It says the modem is functioning. The phone line is fine and the cord is fine. I am using it on my pc and can get online with no problems. We tried using the aol quick restore function but that did nothing. Any advice on what could be wrong? Thanks!

2. nickyboy

nickyboy Private E-2

I assume you have checked for dial tone on your phone, the reason I ask is My wife had the same problem that was caused by intermittent dial tone due to a message that had not been cleared, she hadn't noticed because she could still use the phone, ie dial out.

3. irishred513

irishred513 Private E-2

Yes, the phone has a dial tone, it is the same line that I am using with this pc. Works fine with this one. But thank you for your response.

4. akshaysuri_jbp

akshaysuri_jbp Private E-2

can you tell me which company's internal modem u r using :

it is very nessesary to know bcs sometime company's chip configuration and
    and your ISP's lines attenuation related problem could be possible

5. Colemanguy

Colemanguy MajorGeek

maybe if it hadn't worked before, but it has. Try reinstalling your modem drivers and recreating the dial up networking connection and try again.

MajorGeeks.Com Menu

Downloads All In One Tweaks \ Android \ Anti-Malware \ Anti-Virus \ Appearance \ Backup \ Browsers \ CD\DVD\Blu-Ray \ Covert Ops \ Drive Utilities \ Drivers \ Graphics \ Internet Tools \ Multimedia \ Networking \ Office Tools \ PC Games \ System Tools \ Mac/Apple/Ipad Downloads

Other News: Top Downloads \ News (Tech) \ Off Base (Other Websites News) \ Way Off Base (Offbeat Stories and Pics)

Social: Facebook \ YouTube \ Twitter \ Tumblr \ Pintrest \ RSS Feeds