NT 4.0 IRQ Conflict

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by rman0099, Aug 13, 2007.

1. rman0099

rman0099 Private E-2

My co-worker is having a bit of a problem getting a pc to work. Whenever the cd-rom is attatched to the system it gives two configuration errors 5962 and 162 during startup and immediately propmts to go to system setup after the scsi card recognizes the HD. Upon startup the mouse (PS2) is no longer registered (as a pointer error is sometimes shown during startup) and when clicking on the cd-drive it is "unavailable". If the IDE cable to the CD drive is unpluggle, mouse function is restored. I believe there may be an IRQ conflict within NT 4.0. How is it that you resolve IRQ conflicts in 4.0 (its been a long time since I have had to use it)? Or how can this issue be resolved if at all? Upgrading to a new OS is not an option. Thanks.

Specs:
    P2 450 Mhz
    NT 4.0
    RAM: Unknown maybe 128-256 max

2. baklogic

baklogic The Tinkerer

3. studiot

studiot MajorGeek

Hello, rman
    Perhaps you would like to reorder your thoughts and provide some more information.

If the mouse is not working, how do you click on anything?

Please explain the lead up to the problem.
    Did the system ever work together?
    Is the CD a new addition?
    Since you are booting from SCSI is the BIOS set incorrectly when an IDE device with priority is added?
    Is there a conflict between the BIOS IRQ settings/assignments and Windows ones?

There is no Device Manager in NT, you have to access things via the control panel, including install/uninstall hardware.

This is what I suggest you do for the CD. (Uninstall it and reinstall it)

4. rman0099

rman0099 Private E-2

Well the problem was as random as I typed but has been resolved. Given that it was NT 4 and subject to fickle behavior he was getting the newly title "fancy mouse error". I suggested he change from the optical mouse to an older ball mouse and now everything works (even the cd drive).

Thanks for your posts.

MajorGeeks.Com Menu

Downloads All In One Tweaks \ Android \ Anti-Malware \ Anti-Virus \ Appearance \ Backup \ Browsers \ CD\DVD\Blu-Ray \ Covert Ops \ Drive Utilities \ Drivers \ Graphics \ Internet Tools \ Multimedia \ Networking \ Office Tools \ PC Games \ System Tools \ Mac/Apple/Ipad Downloads

Other News: Top Downloads \ News (Tech) \ Off Base (Other Websites News) \ Way Off Base (Offbeat Stories and Pics)

Social: Facebook \ YouTube \ Twitter \ Tumblr \ Pintrest \ RSS Feeds