Accessing files on WAN side of router

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by mrudella, Aug 13, 2007.

1. mrudella

mrudella Private First Class

Hi,

My current setup is the following (multi-firewall setup - no dmz): DSL plugged into a Cisco 851 router. FTP server plugged into port 1 on cisco. Smoothwall setup plugged into port 2 on cisco (red) and then plugged into switch to provide Internet access to the clients (green). It all works properly, but I'm running into slow network performance when I use a client machine and try to access something on the hard drive on the FTP server. Transfers between the client machines and the Internet all work fine, but the only problem is what I described.

Any thoughts?

2. chipper_atmacneil

chipper_atmacneil Private First Class

Slow connections can be tricky or easy, depending on the situation. Have you tried clearing your Temporary Internet Files, Cookies, History, and SSL state? I would also suggest opening the WINDOWS folder and emptying the Prefetch and Temp folders, then run a Disk Cleanup and clean everything except Office Setup Files. Let us know if that resolved the slow performance issue.

Alex (Chipper) ;)

3. mrudella

mrudella Private First Class

Well, it's not just on one computer, it's on all of them.

I'm thinking it has something to do with outgoing/incoming port settings on the firewall.

What ports would I have to open to allow file transfers between a firewall?

MajorGeeks.Com Menu

Downloads All In One Tweaks \ Android \ Anti-Malware \ Anti-Virus \ Appearance \ Backup \ Browsers \ CD\DVD\Blu-Ray \ Covert Ops \ Drive Utilities \ Drivers \ Graphics \ Internet Tools \ Multimedia \ Networking \ Office Tools \ PC Games \ System Tools \ Mac/Apple/Ipad Downloads

Other News: Top Downloads \ News (Tech) \ Off Base (Other Websites News) \ Way Off Base (Offbeat Stories and Pics)

Social: Facebook \ YouTube \ Twitter \ Tumblr \ Pintrest \ RSS Feeds