Compaq Presario 5000 (upgrade processor)

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by deborahc, Aug 14, 2007.

1. deborahc

deborahc Private E-2

Ok.. no need to say it, I know that this machine isn't the best, but it's all I have. I now find myself in a pickle (not literally.. but you know what I mean). I need a faster processor to run a game I LOVE on this machine. The game requires a PIII or AMD Athlon 1GHz. This machine is running an AMD Duron 750 MHz.

Please tell me there is a solution cheaper than buying a new CPU...

I may not love this computer.. but it's all I got.. *sniffle*

2. pclover

pclover MajorGeek

Whats the CPU socket? If i were you i would just buy a new pc lol :D

3. deborahc

deborahc Private E-2

If I could afford a new one (and one without Vista).. I would do that. Right now, money is tight.. so this is my cheapest option...

4. pclover

pclover MajorGeek

o ok whats the cpu socket*

5. pclover

pclover MajorGeek

Oops double post. Delete this please

Last edited: Aug 14, 2007
  6. deborahc

deborahc Private E-2

The CPU-Z says it's a socket A (462) and I gathered more information about the motherboard - Compaq 06E4h.

My next question is can I find a new processor (warranty is somewhat important to me with money being tight) and BIOS. What am I looking at there.. depending upon the processor? We want to go as high as this motherboard will allow without a whole lot of trouble.

Wish they would have called my lotto numbers tonight. *sigh*

7. hopperdave2000

hopperdave2000 MajorGeek

If it's a Duron 750, it's a socket 462 (also called socket 'A'). These CPU's aren't made anymore, so your best bet is EBay or your local used PC store. Before buying a new CPU, research your motherboard to be sure it will support faster CPU's; try to find out what the max CPU is and try to get one. The motherboard model number you posted is a Compaq part number. You'll probably need to open the case to get the make and model number off the motherboard; be sure to unplug the power cord! You can try running Everest (link: http://www.majorgeeks.com/download.php?det=4181) and see if it'll tell you the model number. Then Google the model number and see what you find out.... or post the mobo model number here, and we'll try to help.

hd2k

8. deborahc

deborahc Private E-2

The only thing I could find on the motherboard itself was UWAVE and SN0047506699

I'm not finding much online, but then again, it's late, and I'm out of coffee..

9. hopperdave2000

hopperdave2000 MajorGeek

Here's what I found out: the UWAVE motherboards are actually Compaq modified FIC motherboards; model AZ31. It appears that the fastest CPU you can use is 1.2ghz Athlon (according to FIC. Link: ftp://ftp.fic.com.tw/motherboard/cpu_table/socketa/az31.pdf you'll need Adobe Reader installed). Your FSB is 100mhz so you can only use AMD chips that also have a 100mhz bus. Technically, you can use the 133mhz chips, but they'll run underclocked (or maybe not at all, or maybe really flakey). I read on some Compaq user forums (not supported by Compaq/HP) that some folks were using Athlon 1.4ghz chips w/o issues.... so there you have it. Check EBay, or your local used PC shop....

hd2k

10. deborahc

deborahc Private E-2

11. hopperdave2000

hopperdave2000 MajorGeek

Yep! That should work! However, I remember reading something about your MB only running TBird cores, and the one you linked to is a Palomino, but the FSB is the right speed so it should run.
    I found a cheaper one without a heat sink and fan: http://cgi.ebay.com/Athlon-A1200AMS...ryZ15919QQssPageNameZWDVWQQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem
    And here's a 1000:
    http://cgi.ebay.com/AMD-ATHLON-T-BR...ryZ44935QQrdZ1QQssPageNameZWD1VQQcmdZViewItem
    And there's some 1100's on EBay also.....
    Be sure to ALWAYS ask the seller what their DOA/Return policy is....
    Good luck!

hd2k

12. deborahc

deborahc Private E-2

13. deborahc

deborahc Private E-2

Just to update this for future needs, it was a bad chip, and we exchanged it and the computer is running great. It's now been donated to my teen.. as momma just built her first computer! ;)

14. plodr

plodr Major Geek Super Extraordinaire

I'm impressed! I never had the courage to tackle building my own.

15. deborahc

deborahc Private E-2

I knew it would be the "cheapest" way for me to get a new machine. Every few weeks, I'd buy what I could, and add it to the pile of parts until I had them all. Then took a day or two and put it together. Here is the thread about the tests I'm running on the new rig.

MajorGeeks.Com Menu

Downloads All In One Tweaks \ Android \ Anti-Malware \ Anti-Virus \ Appearance \ Backup \ Browsers \ CD\DVD\Blu-Ray \ Covert Ops \ Drive Utilities \ Drivers \ Graphics \ Internet Tools \ Multimedia \ Networking \ Office Tools \ PC Games \ System Tools \ Mac/Apple/Ipad Downloads

Other News: Top Downloads \ News (Tech) \ Off Base (Other Websites News) \ Way Off Base (Offbeat Stories and Pics)

Social: Facebook \ YouTube \ Twitter \ Tumblr \ Pintrest \ RSS Feeds