Possible hard drive problem?

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by Kenshin, Aug 14, 2007.

1. Kenshin

Kenshin Private E-2

Hi guys,

The problem is...I went to format my internal drives and reinstall windows due to a problem that was affecting download speed (those problems have been resolved.) But..my external drive that I usually keep connected to my pc 24/7 is having some issues...I have video files that play off the drive normally...and pictures and documents load fine, yet most of the .exe files on the drive (setup files for applications) cause the system to lock up and the only way to make it stop is to turn off the drive..So I go to copy those exe files to my computer's internal drive...and viola they work just fine from there..So it's not like the files are corrupted I don't think...could there be something that's screwed my external up during re installation of windows? And if so...what would be the best way to try fix it?

Cheers,

Kenshin

p.s: I'd also like to note that I get the same lockup problem as I'm closing the window in explorer for my external..

2. hugh750

hugh750 MajorGeek

Are getting any errors or getting any clicking sounds from your external hard drive?
    If so then it might be dying on you.

3. Kenshin

Kenshin Private E-2

well it has the normal read sounds...but nothing too out of the ordinary..except when it locks up the red light(when it does activity) is going like mad. Hmmm...if there's no solution perhaps I should backup the data asap and then try to replace the external with a new one...as it's still fairly newish.

4. w0ts0n

w0ts0n Private E-2

Sounds like your drive could be on it's way out.

Best thing to do is to backup your stuff to a CD/DVD then format the drive. Put everything back on and see if that fixes it.
    Sometimes registries can mix up on hdd's and a good ol' format can sometimes sort out the bugs.

5. Kenshin

Kenshin Private E-2

Yeah, because like before the format of the internal drives it worked perfectly...and now it's acting differently so I guess a format of it would be the way to go?

MajorGeeks.Com Menu

Downloads All In One Tweaks \ Android \ Anti-Malware \ Anti-Virus \ Appearance \ Backup \ Browsers \ CD\DVD\Blu-Ray \ Covert Ops \ Drive Utilities \ Drivers \ Graphics \ Internet Tools \ Multimedia \ Networking \ Office Tools \ PC Games \ System Tools \ Mac/Apple/Ipad Downloads

Other News: Top Downloads \ News (Tech) \ Off Base (Other Websites News) \ Way Off Base (Offbeat Stories and Pics)

Social: Facebook \ YouTube \ Twitter \ Tumblr \ Pintrest \ RSS Feeds