ATI Life span?

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by N4646W, Aug 15, 2007.

1. N4646W

N4646W Private E-2

In four years I've been through three ATI Pro cards (8500-256mb,9600-512mb,1600-512mb). All have gone south within two months after the warranty period. Is this typical of the upper end ATI cards, or am I just one of those lucky people? The Pro series does not come with what I would call an impressive cooling, but none of the cards has ever run hot. Including the cards fan, there are 18 fans in the system so heat should not be the problem. All the cards were on different MB's. Do the type of monitors shorten their life span? I've been running two SG 24" CRT's. I've put off getting a CAD card as I can't justify the expense for an extera year of warrenty, and yes, I do like to play games along with doing CAD. Systems were not overclocked. Just looking for a possible answers before I shell out for another AGP card. This old standby Matrox G400 just does not cut it.

2. viper_boy403

viper_boy403 MajorGeek

Nvidia FTW!!!!

Anyways, ive had an old ATI Rage in my super old computer, for probably 10 years, and it still hasnt had any problems lol. I think that you may have just had an unlucky streak of cards, most people dont have problems. Ive always been a fan of nVidia cards though, always done the job well with no problems

3. ItsWendy

ItsWendy MajorGeek

I currently have 6 8500's in my families computers (I'm the family tech) and have never had a failure in 3+ years of use. I've used older versions (Rage128, 7500 AIW) with good results too, replaced for upgrades.

4. hugh750

hugh750 MajorGeek

I did have an x1300 pro agp (256 megs ddr) in my old gateway computer die on me (the video card was about 2 years old when it died).
    but i did put an older nvida geforce fx 5700le 128 megs ddr in it and that works,but i now have a hp pc with a radeon x700 pro pci-e 16x card also 256 megs ddr.

5. N4646W

N4646W Private E-2

Well I guess the old saying is true, "if it weren't for bad luck I wouldn't have any luck at all". I was just in hopes that I was overlooking something that was killing these cards.

6. studiot

studiot MajorGeek

Are you in a very dry area and subject to much static?
    Is the electrical grounding in you building up to scratch?
    If not then arrange common grounding for the monitor and pc base unit.
    Small static induced potential differences between equipment can play havoc in some locations.

MajorGeeks.Com Menu

Downloads All In One Tweaks \ Android \ Anti-Malware \ Anti-Virus \ Appearance \ Backup \ Browsers \ CD\DVD\Blu-Ray \ Covert Ops \ Drive Utilities \ Drivers \ Graphics \ Internet Tools \ Multimedia \ Networking \ Office Tools \ PC Games \ System Tools \ Mac/Apple/Ipad Downloads

Other News: Top Downloads \ News (Tech) \ Off Base (Other Websites News) \ Way Off Base (Offbeat Stories and Pics)

Social: Facebook \ YouTube \ Twitter \ Tumblr \ Pintrest \ RSS Feeds