Dual Channel DDR2 question

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by hopperdave2000, Aug 15, 2007.

1. hopperdave2000

hopperdave2000 MajorGeek

This motherboard has 4 DDR2 slots, dual channel. I have 2gb of memory split between 2x512mb and 1x1gb. My question is: what would be the best way to configure the RAM. Lets say that RAM slots A and C are channel one, and slots B and D are channel two. I was thinkin' that the 2 512's would go in channel 1 (slots A and C) and the single 1gb in channel 2.... any thoughts? Ideas? Suggestions?
    Thanx!

hd2k

2. Mada_Milty

Mada_Milty MajorGeek

Not sure whether this will allow you to run in dual-channel mode, which is worthwhile, as it will improve your memory bandwidth greatly.

You can experiment, though. Any mobo I've seen will list whether the memory running in dual-channel or not during POST (right after the memory test).

3. viper_boy403

viper_boy403 MajorGeek

id do what you said. but, just to make sure this is the best way, id do this:

Download everest (not Ultimate) if you havent already and run the memory benchmarks. Make sure you write down your scores. Then switch the memory around, do it again, and keep doing that and compare the scores so u find out which one works the best

4. baklogic

baklogic The Tinkerer

Usually, I found that when you use 3 slots you lose dual channel ability, whatever ram yo use- but using 2, or, 4 gives dual channel.

5. viper_boy403

viper_boy403 MajorGeek

yeah i think that's true. Just experiment with placement tho and see if any one does better than others

6. studiot

studiot MajorGeek

I confirm that with those three RAM sticks you can have 1G dual channel, which is the fastest configuration, but would run out of steam first, or 2G single channel. You can't run in single and dual channel at the same time.

I assume the memory all has the same speed specs as that would make a difference.

Is 2G essential? Most pcs show quickly decreasing benefits over 1G for Win XP

7. Adrynalyne

Adrynalyne Guest

The first game that you fire up within the last year or so, and that 1gb is gone, and you are paging to disk like mad.

Many games easily pull a 600mb-1gb memory load.

its all in how you use your computer. i wouldnt go so far to say you see small performance benefits from 2gb.

8. hopperdave2000

hopperdave2000 MajorGeek

It's being used for Flight Sim from Microsoft so the 2gb is probably needed. Thanx for all the info guys. In order to get true dual channel, I do need to fill all 4 slots (when in doubt, read the freekin' MB manual ;) ).

Thanx again!

hd2k

MajorGeeks.Com Menu

Downloads All In One Tweaks \ Android \ Anti-Malware \ Anti-Virus \ Appearance \ Backup \ Browsers \ CD\DVD\Blu-Ray \ Covert Ops \ Drive Utilities \ Drivers \ Graphics \ Internet Tools \ Multimedia \ Networking \ Office Tools \ PC Games \ System Tools \ Mac/Apple/Ipad Downloads

Other News: Top Downloads \ News (Tech) \ Off Base (Other Websites News) \ Way Off Base (Offbeat Stories and Pics)

Social: Facebook \ YouTube \ Twitter \ Tumblr \ Pintrest \ RSS Feeds