Need Help: Broken external hard drive

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by ritest, Aug 15, 2007.

1. ritest

ritest Private E-2

I have a 400gb Western Digital Pro Book . I've had it about 10 months with no problems. All of a sudden while i was watching a video it stopped.

Since then its very slow on the start up and to change folders to view.
    No files can be accessed anymore. If the folder does open and is not empty (which is rare) and it shows my avi files they will not play in any program. With VLC it wont start playing, and with WMP it says "cannot find file".
    Every time it starts up and when u select a file u hear a faint error sound from the hard drive 3 times, then 2 real fast. It repeats this sound till I hit "safely remove hardware" and turn it off.

It also wont allow me to transer files to or from it. It starts working but never progresses.

Is it possible to repair on my own? It'll cost more to fix than it cost, but its FULL and most of the files i got with torrents that are dead now.
    If its completly trashed, will i be able to do a data recover onto another drive?

2. hopperdave2000

hopperdave2000 MajorGeek

The drive should still be under warranty. Most hard drives (I'm pretty sure ALL of 'em) come with a minimum 3 year warranty. I'm not sure about external drives, but it should be at least 1 year. Go to Western Digital's web site and have the serial number of the drive handy. You can check the warranty status and submit for a warranty replacement. The site will tell you if your covered by the warranty, and where to send the drive if you're covered. You won't get any data back (it sounds like it's gone anyway) but you'll get a brand new drive for free... As for recovering the data to another drive: if the data isn't accessible from Windows, it may not be accessible from anything else either. Check the Data Recovery section here at MajorGeeks. Most of the good data recovery tools aren't free unfortunately. There is PCInspector which is free http://www.pcinspector.de/file_recovery/UK/welcome.htm I've used it before; it does work but it's a bit slow and the it's not super user friendly, but it works and it's free, so check it out. I also recommend Easy Recovery Pro (but it is NOT free). It's VERY easy to use and has recovered data from some really messed up drives. Here's the link: http://www.ontrackdatarecovery.com/data-recovery-downloads/#data You can download a free trial that will show you if your data is recoverable. If it is, you can then pay 'em for the full version... Good Luck!

hd2k

MajorGeeks.Com Menu

Downloads All In One Tweaks \ Android \ Anti-Malware \ Anti-Virus \ Appearance \ Backup \ Browsers \ CD\DVD\Blu-Ray \ Covert Ops \ Drive Utilities \ Drivers \ Graphics \ Internet Tools \ Multimedia \ Networking \ Office Tools \ PC Games \ System Tools \ Mac/Apple/Ipad Downloads

Other News: Top Downloads \ News (Tech) \ Off Base (Other Websites News) \ Way Off Base (Offbeat Stories and Pics)

Social: Facebook \ YouTube \ Twitter \ Tumblr \ Pintrest \ RSS Feeds