is this motherboard worth buying?

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by tat2d12000, Aug 16, 2007.

1. tat2d12000

tat2d12000 Private First Class

i have a chance to buy a mobo from a guy i work with. it is a jetway 630tcf. i have an old hp pavilion 6736 with a 667mhz celeron processor, 80 gb hdd, just a basic system. is this a good board for me to upgrade my system with? i want to add a graphics card, sound card, more ram and a bigger cpu. can anyone tell me the ups and downs of this motherboard?

2. viper_boy403

viper_boy403 MajorGeek

wow if you're gonna do all that just build a whole new system and re-use the hard drive

how much is he selling it for?

3. tat2d12000

he's selling for $ 37.50. i know i could just buy something else, but i was trying to do a little at a time. you know, like the rest of the poor folks do.

4. viper_boy403

viper_boy403 MajorGeek

well how much do you want to spend overall for all those parts you listed? And what do you want to do with it? games, music, photo/video editing etc...

5. hopperdave2000

hopperdave2000 MajorGeek

It's an older board, a socket 370 for pentium 3 CPU's. It'll take older SDRAM and actually won't be much better than what you're running now. Plus, you'd have a tough time finding a CPU for it unless you got a used one from EBay. Even then, I don't think they made Pentium 3 CPU's faster than about 1.2ghz, maybe 1.3ghz. Save your money and buy something more current. You can get a new socket AM2 (for AMD) or 775 (for Intel) motherboard for around $60 if you shop around.....

hd2k

6. tat2d12000

thanks for the help. i kinda figured it was old, but not as old as what i have now. i know for a couple hundred dollars i can probably vastly upgrade from what i have. let's face it, i'm using a 10 year old pc.

7. viper_boy403

viper_boy403 MajorGeek

yeah you can get some pretty decent barebones rigs on tigerdirect.com for good prices which should be what you've looking for

HD2k, congrats on the 2000 posts! Now you just need an avatar, i mean, come on man! :p

8. tat2d12000

Tiger direct is exactly where i 've been looking lately. again, thanks guys for the advice. cya

9. hopperdave2000

hopperdave2000 MajorGeek

Hey, thanks alot! I didn't even notice. An avatar you say? Awwww man! Now I gotta get creative? Like I don't enough to do?!?! ;) I'll see if I can come up with something. I have been thinkin' about for awhile....

MajorGeeks.Com Menu

Downloads All In One Tweaks \ Android \ Anti-Malware \ Anti-Virus \ Appearance \ Backup \ Browsers \ CD\DVD\Blu-Ray \ Covert Ops \ Drive Utilities \ Drivers \ Graphics \ Internet Tools \ Multimedia \ Networking \ Office Tools \ PC Games \ System Tools \ Mac/Apple/Ipad Downloads

Other News: Top Downloads \ News (Tech) \ Off Base (Other Websites News) \ Way Off Base (Offbeat Stories and Pics)

Social: Facebook \ YouTube \ Twitter \ Tumblr \ Pintrest \ RSS Feeds