Hard drive failure?

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by noviceseeking.lol, Aug 16, 2007.

1. noviceseeking.lol

noviceseeking.lol Private E-2

A friend of mine ( in his early 70's) has a pc to do internet shopping and it has apparently expired?

His grandaughter just yanked the plug out the wall to turn it off instead of powering down properly and now when you boot it goes stright to the screen saying reboot in safe mode normal mode last best configuration etc....

Whatever option you choose it just goes back to that screen when it reboots.it wont even go into safe mode.

I have asked him for his back up disks but he didnt have any so i cant reboot from rom drive as he didnt burn any back ups so its still on a partition on his hard drive.

Is there any solution to this?
    Is it a dead hard drive?

Is it possible to rescue any data he has on this drive?

If the hard drive is dead ( and bearing in mind we are in england) how cost effective and easy is it to install a new hard drive or would it be easier for him to buy a new cheap system ( he only uses it for internet shopping and banking etc)

it is a windows xp system and i have ( a completely different windows xp system ) would i be able to do something with my back up disks?

i only know it is an Ion pc with windows xp bought from tescos........sorry i dont know the system specs more than that as its not my system and it cant be booted.

any ideas appreciated guys thanks :)

2. noviceseeking.lol

noviceseeking.lol Private E-2

hi

i took a look through this site at previous problems and saw some similar 1's.

i have now managed to resolve this problem thanks!

MajorGeeks.Com Menu

Downloads All In One Tweaks \ Android \ Anti-Malware \ Anti-Virus \ Appearance \ Backup \ Browsers \ CD\DVD\Blu-Ray \ Covert Ops \ Drive Utilities \ Drivers \ Graphics \ Internet Tools \ Multimedia \ Networking \ Office Tools \ PC Games \ System Tools \ Mac/Apple/Ipad Downloads

Other News: Top Downloads \ News (Tech) \ Off Base (Other Websites News) \ Way Off Base (Offbeat Stories and Pics)

Social: Facebook \ YouTube \ Twitter \ Tumblr \ Pintrest \ RSS Feeds