password protect desktop item

Discussion in 'Software' started by dromano, Aug 16, 2007.

1. dromano

dromano Staff Sergeant

Hi all,
    Can anyone tell me if it is possible to password protect a desktop item?
    I only want to protect one program from being able to be openned (smartFTP client)

Thak you,
    Dan

2. Kniht

Kniht Sergeant

Are you trying to password protect a shortcut to the program? If you are trying to encrypt the shortcut, as I'm sure you know, there are other ways to open a program other than the desktop shortcut.

I use a program called Encrypt on Click (freeware)

Download here: http://www.2brightsparks.com/freeware/freeware-hub.html

If I don't want someone to access a program, I encrypt the programs .exe.

With Encrypt on Click, you right click on the shortcut, .exe, entire folder, and in the context menu that opens click on Encrypt on Click. A box opens asking you for a password. Enter a password, confirm password, click ok and whatever you want is encrypted. You can unencrypt using the same method.

3. bigbazza

bigbazza R.I.P. 14/12/2011 - Good Onya Geek

Great find, Kniht. Looks very interesting. :major Bazza

4. Adrynalyne

Adrynalyne Guest

Or, you could remove all permissions to the executable except for your account ;)

5. Turcoloco

Turcoloco MajorGeek

What if you right-click on the program folder in C:\Program Files and then click Properties then Security tab and modify the settings so that only you had full access to it and Everyone and all other custom user accounts had none, would that work?

6. dromano

dromano Staff Sergeant

Thanks for all of the answers guys. I think i will try and see if i can just put it on memmory stick and carry it with me so i don't need it on more than one puter.

Thanks,
    Dan

MajorGeeks.Com Menu

Downloads All In One Tweaks \ Android \ Anti-Malware \ Anti-Virus \ Appearance \ Backup \ Browsers \ CD\DVD\Blu-Ray \ Covert Ops \ Drive Utilities \ Drivers \ Graphics \ Internet Tools \ Multimedia \ Networking \ Office Tools \ PC Games \ System Tools \ Mac/Apple/Ipad Downloads

Other News: Top Downloads \ News (Tech) \ Off Base (Other Websites News) \ Way Off Base (Offbeat Stories and Pics)

Social: Facebook \ YouTube \ Twitter \ Tumblr \ Pintrest \ RSS Feeds