Bandwidth sharing scenario

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by boab, Aug 16, 2007.

1. boab

boab Private E-2

Hi all,

I'm looking for a solution to this problem before war breaks out between us and next door.

Our flat and our neighbour share a 256k dsl connection, with a total of 2 computers connected to a speedtouch 585 router. There is no gateway/server set up.

Ideally, i'm looking for a solution that allows dynamic bandwidth sharing by the two computers, configured so that both computers have access to the full bandwidth if the other is not using it, throttling back to a minimum of half the bandwidth depending on how much the other computer is using.

Can this be done on the current setup? If not, can this be done by designating one of the machines as a gateway?

If still not, whats the closest i can get to this solution and what kind of setup does it involve?

Ta muchly :)

2. Colemanguy

Colemanguy MajorGeek

no, no, and google qos for a bit of infomation that may help.

3. Hellsteeth

Hellsteeth Private E-2

This post is a bit old now, but I too was looking for just this and found not only was it indeed possible, it also works really well. There is a low cost (~$30) piece of software that you load and run as a service on each of the computers. There is then a GUI that runs separately that can connect and set overall settings such as max upload and download settings for the shared internet connection. The software then creates a server-less mesh network and automatically shares the bandwidth.

If there are three users all downloading, each will get a third of the bandwidth. However if one ceases downloading the remaining two users now get half each. It just works!

You will need the Standard version and can try it out free of charge first.

http://bandwidthcontroller.com/download.html

MajorGeeks.Com Menu

Downloads All In One Tweaks \ Android \ Anti-Malware \ Anti-Virus \ Appearance \ Backup \ Browsers \ CD\DVD\Blu-Ray \ Covert Ops \ Drive Utilities \ Drivers \ Graphics \ Internet Tools \ Multimedia \ Networking \ Office Tools \ PC Games \ System Tools \ Mac/Apple/Ipad Downloads

Other News: Top Downloads \ News (Tech) \ Off Base (Other Websites News) \ Way Off Base (Offbeat Stories and Pics)

Social: Facebook \ YouTube \ Twitter \ Tumblr \ Pintrest \ RSS Feeds