New ram problem :(

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by Eyz, Aug 17, 2007.

1. Eyz

Eyz Private E-2

I recently bought a 1 gig ram stick (from newegg) to add to my pc, which already had 2x512 but since I've installed this new ram I've been having random lock-ups where the pc can only be recovered by turning it off and back on.

The ram (x2 512/1GIG) is both the same brand PQI DDR-400 PC3200 so there shouldn't be any conflict. I've also done a memory (memtest86) test which found no errors so all I can think of is there are issues where the ram is placed?

My motherboard is Aopen AX4SP-N and the ram slots have;

[BLUE] [PURPLE] [BLUE] [PURPLE]
    512--------1gig------------512-------blank
    http://img63.imageshack.us/my.php?image=untitledch8.jpg

Now I've tried other placements but I'm still randomly locking up. It happens MAINLY when I'm playing games (wow/cod2). But happened once while I was using nero. It usually happens 1-2 hours after gaming or sometimes right as soon as I boot up (but rarely).

I also just put in a 450W power-supply and a new DVD/CD-RW so maybe this might have something to do with it.

Anyone have any info on what I can do to fix this, maybe I need to edit BIOS or something in windows?

Any help would be awesome, thanks in advance. -Mark

WIN-XP PRO fully updated
    2.40GHz
    Motherboard - AX4SP-N

2. baklogic

baklogic The Tinkerer

I would say that you are now running in single channel mode, as you are only using three slots- you need to be using 2, or, 4 same colour slots to run dual channel, - try removing the 1gb stick, and see if it locks up. You will be running dual channel with 2 x 512 sticks in slots 1, and 3, and this will probably make the difference , icreasing your fsb to 800, whereas 3 sticks= single channel- runs at fsb 400.

3. baklogic

baklogic The Tinkerer

MajorGeeks.Com Menu

Downloads All In One Tweaks \ Android \ Anti-Malware \ Anti-Virus \ Appearance \ Backup \ Browsers \ CD\DVD\Blu-Ray \ Covert Ops \ Drive Utilities \ Drivers \ Graphics \ Internet Tools \ Multimedia \ Networking \ Office Tools \ PC Games \ System Tools \ Mac/Apple/Ipad Downloads

Other News: Top Downloads \ News (Tech) \ Off Base (Other Websites News) \ Way Off Base (Offbeat Stories and Pics)

Social: Facebook \ YouTube \ Twitter \ Tumblr \ Pintrest \ RSS Feeds