router

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by helpdan, Aug 17, 2007.

1. helpdan

helpdan Private E-2

just a quick one i have a question about my router 's firewall which section should i post it in (anybody).rolleyes

2. Mada_Milty

Mada_Milty MajorGeek

Since the router is a networking device, and a firewall allows/denies network addresses, I would suggest Networking is the best forum for that.

3. helpdan

helpdan Private E-2

cheers milty
    only a quick one if i have a firewall on my router do i need to run one on my comp aswell are do they clash.

4. Mada_Milty

Mada_Milty MajorGeek

It is advisable to have a software firewall, as the router firewall will not provide any OUTBOUND protection. (Actually, some software f/w's won't either, so choose wisely) This will help in the event that you DO get a malware infection, and it is trying to send informations out on the internet. A good s/w f/w will catch it, allowing you to deny the traffic. Also, you shouldn't have too hard a time getting it to play nicely with the router's firewall.

See the how to protect yourself from malware thread for recommendations from the true experts!

5. helpdan

helpdan Private E-2

cheers milty im using comodo at present with the router firewall on comodo says things are fine but things seem slow. il muddle through tho thanks.

6. Mada_Milty

Mada_Milty MajorGeek

By this do you mean general system performance is slow, or internet access is?
    If you were to post a new thread describing this problem, I'm certain you would get some excellent recommendations!

MajorGeeks.Com Menu

Downloads All In One Tweaks \ Android \ Anti-Malware \ Anti-Virus \ Appearance \ Backup \ Browsers \ CD\DVD\Blu-Ray \ Covert Ops \ Drive Utilities \ Drivers \ Graphics \ Internet Tools \ Multimedia \ Networking \ Office Tools \ PC Games \ System Tools \ Mac/Apple/Ipad Downloads

Other News: Top Downloads \ News (Tech) \ Off Base (Other Websites News) \ Way Off Base (Offbeat Stories and Pics)

Social: Facebook \ YouTube \ Twitter \ Tumblr \ Pintrest \ RSS Feeds