New CPU and RAM question

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by theven 4, Aug 17, 2007.

1. theven 4

theven 4 Private First Class

hey! long time since i've posted here.

Anyway I'm thinking about building my own computer (hopefully) and i was looking for a good cpu. I found the Intel Core duo E750 with 2.66 Ghz 4mb cache and 1333 mhz, but i have no idea what kind of ram should i use. :confused
    Should i use a ram with the same speed? (PC10666 1333mhz) or a slower one? Also how will overclocking the cpu affect both ram?

Thanks

2. baklogic

baklogic The Tinkerer

Choose your motherboard, with dual channel for the ram, to get the fsb up,then check what ram will match the motherboard and the cpu, together.

3. baklogic

baklogic The Tinkerer

There will be others with more information on ram, once you decide the motherboard, as the motherboard manufacturers often have a list of compatable ram, to go with their motherboards- I think, without looking it up, its qt, or, similar list.
    Then dual channel gives a multiplier to ram fsb.
    Possibilities to look at, but it will depend on the motherboard
    CORSAIR XMS3 2x1GB DDR3 PC10666 1333MHz 9-9-9-24 (kit 2ks 1024MB
    OCZ PC10666 Gold OCZ3G13332GK 2X1G DDR3 1333MHz Dual Channel Kit
    Corsair TWIN3X2048-1333C9DHX: DDR3 240pin 2048MB (2x1024MB) PC10666 1333MHz
    As I said- choose motherboard, then keep us posted.

4. theven 4

Thanks a lot baklogic and i think i would get this motherboard which supports 1333mhz of FSB, but only 800mhz dual channel DDR2 ram. Would this affect the performance?

Thanks

5. baklogic

baklogic The Tinkerer

6. baklogic

baklogic The Tinkerer

DDR2 RAM, is the popular current ram, and DDR3 is the new version, and I cannot advise you with that, but someone else might come on and explain more about it.
    According to your manual on the motherboard, you can use DDR2 667 ram.:)
    Page 32 (1-19)

Last edited: Aug 18, 2007
  7. theven 4

That was really helpful. Thanks. But I'm still confused as to the gain/loss of performance with using a slower ram speed than the FSB. And how it will overclock tho that's for the overclocking forum..

thanks again. Tony

8. baklogic

baklogic The Tinkerer

MajorGeeks.Com Menu

Downloads All In One Tweaks \ Android \ Anti-Malware \ Anti-Virus \ Appearance \ Backup \ Browsers \ CD\DVD\Blu-Ray \ Covert Ops \ Drive Utilities \ Drivers \ Graphics \ Internet Tools \ Multimedia \ Networking \ Office Tools \ PC Games \ System Tools \ Mac/Apple/Ipad Downloads

Other News: Top Downloads \ News (Tech) \ Off Base (Other Websites News) \ Way Off Base (Offbeat Stories and Pics)

Social: Facebook \ YouTube \ Twitter \ Tumblr \ Pintrest \ RSS Feeds