Do any of you have experience with SAS hard drives?

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by Fred_G, Aug 17, 2007.

1. Fred_G

Fred_G Heat packin' geek

So a while back I scored a couple of Seagate Cheetah T10 15k RPM Serial Attached SCSI 146GB hard drives. I was going to FleaBay them, but I am doing ok money wise right now, so I am thinking about buying a PCI or some type of controller and run these suckers in a RAID0. I mean, how often do you get the chance to run around $700 of high RPM hard drive goodness in your gaming rig?:D

I have searched around some, and am not getting good info on the performance of these drives. Are they better than SATA2? And have any of you set up something like this? Seems pretty obvious, get controller, $100 to insane $, install, hook up drives, set up RAID, then clone or instal OS. Is it that simple?

Cheap ($109) card. http://accessories.us.dell.com/sna/productdetail.aspx?c=us&l=en&s=dhs&cs=19&sku=341-4349

Here is a drive like mine on the FleaBay. http://cgi.ebay.com/SEAGATE-DELL-CH...ryZ71511QQssPageNameZWDVWQQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem

So, any advice on a controller card (DFI LanParty UT NF4 mobo is what I have)

Well, thanks for your time.

E

2. jimmy_iz_god

jimmy_iz_god Private E-2

hey dude,
    yea pretty much any SCSI drives are faster than sata2 drives. the only satas that get close are WD Raptors. i recommend using an adaptec raid card for best performance & reliability.
    everything else you mentioned (ghosting the OS ETC) should be sweet.

im jealous

3. Fred_G

Fred_G Heat packin' geek

4. jimmy_iz_god

jimmy_iz_god Private E-2

they are a pain in the arse to get as they are still a relatively new product...
    can't help you with that one im sorry - i work for a computer company & we get all our stuff from national distributers in australia.
    best chance might be trying to track down a place that produces servers & asking if they can get some on your behalf...

5. Fred_G

Fred_G Heat packin' geek

Guess I will just have to call Dell and see if I can order some :D.

E

6. jimmy_iz_god

jimmy_iz_god Private E-2

lol good luck!
    itll be worth it!

MajorGeeks.Com Menu

Downloads All In One Tweaks \ Android \ Anti-Malware \ Anti-Virus \ Appearance \ Backup \ Browsers \ CD\DVD\Blu-Ray \ Covert Ops \ Drive Utilities \ Drivers \ Graphics \ Internet Tools \ Multimedia \ Networking \ Office Tools \ PC Games \ System Tools \ Mac/Apple/Ipad Downloads

Other News: Top Downloads \ News (Tech) \ Off Base (Other Websites News) \ Way Off Base (Offbeat Stories and Pics)

Social: Facebook \ YouTube \ Twitter \ Tumblr \ Pintrest \ RSS Feeds