Very Slow DSL Speed

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by Ultimate7777, Aug 17, 2007.

1. Ultimate7777

Ultimate7777 Private E-2

As AT&T provides my phone service, I decided a few months ago to sign up for DSL internet (after a couple months with dialup, no less) with their Pro Package, which provides connection speeds of up to 3.0 Mbps--what I had at my old home.

When I first got the service, it was practically the same as when I had it before: reasonably fast internet that I was definitely satisfied with. But for two or three months now, speeds have dropped down to barely a crawl. When before I could watch a YouTube video just by clicking on the link leading to its page, now I have to pause the video for a few minutes (even hours, depending on the length) to let it 'buffer' so that I can watch it without it stopping every three or four seconds to load.

Customer service has been polite, but unhelpful. All that they suggest is powercycling the modem and rebooting the computer (which I've done numerous times), checking the filters and phone cables (I've replaced both, to no avail), and scanning for viruses and other malware (which I've also done several times).

At times, the connection feels slower than dialup, and I can't work with subdialup speeds.

I would appreciate any help, and thank you in advance.

I have run AVG Antivirus, Spybot Search and Destroy, Ad-Aware, and SUPERAntiSpyware, but no improvement.

A speed test at http://www.speakeasy.net/speedtest/ says my download speed is 76 kbps, and my upload speed is 431 kbps.

HiJackThis Log:

• Edit by bjgarrick: Inline HJT log removed!
    If there is any other information I should provide that could be useful, please let me know.

Again, thank you for your help.

Last edited by a moderator: Aug 17, 2007
  2. akshaysuri_jbp

akshaysuri_jbp Private E-2

had u tried to install your modem on another mechine and check the speed ?
    when ur connection is on had u seen that sending bytes are more than recieving byte without opening any webpage ?

take ur friends laptop and check the speed to download any file from any server like microsoft.com etc. bcs speed test engine are not acurate every time. if u got actual speed according to plan on another mechine that time it is cleare that any spyware attack on u'r pc that position try zone alarm firewall.

if u got same speed on another pc like 72kbps talk to ur ISP about this problem
    it clould be the ISP related problem it coluld be possible ur plan hasbeen migrated to below speed or DSL port speed mapping isssue

ok

MajorGeeks.Com Menu

Downloads All In One Tweaks \ Android \ Anti-Malware \ Anti-Virus \ Appearance \ Backup \ Browsers \ CD\DVD\Blu-Ray \ Covert Ops \ Drive Utilities \ Drivers \ Graphics \ Internet Tools \ Multimedia \ Networking \ Office Tools \ PC Games \ System Tools \ Mac/Apple/Ipad Downloads

Other News: Top Downloads \ News (Tech) \ Off Base (Other Websites News) \ Way Off Base (Offbeat Stories and Pics)

Social: Facebook \ YouTube \ Twitter \ Tumblr \ Pintrest \ RSS Feeds