Weird XP Problem

Discussion in 'Software' started by Triaxx2, Sep 22, 2007.

1. Triaxx2

Triaxx2 MajorGeek

While attempting to migrate from an elder computer to a newer computer with a 64-bit, dual core processor, I am unable to properly start windows.

I don't think it's the drive, because I can load to XP on the older computer without problem, but when I try and load it on the new computer, I receive an error stating Windows was unable to start, and it gives five options:

Safe Mode
    Safe Mode with Networking
    Safe Mode with Command Prompt

Last Good Settings

Start Windows Normally

All five options cause the computer to restart after a moment, and then repeat the message. Can anyone help me fix the problem? Unfortunately, I have lost the disc, so I am unable to simply reinstall.

2. Triaxx2

Triaxx2 MajorGeek

So, with 45 views, I guess that means there's no help available?

3. BirdBath

BirdBath Sergeant Major

You took just the hard drive with windows already installed on it and put it a new computer?

Windows wont recognize all the new hardware and you have no drivers installed on the old hard drive for the new comp set up. If you have an O.E.M. specific version of Windows on the old drive it wont run on the new comp anyway.

Install the old drive, boot from a Windows disk, reinstall on the new set up.

4. chookers

chookers Staff Sergeant

Hi,

What have you done to move to the new system? Have you just taken the hard drive from the old computer and put it into the new one?

If so, chances are you're fighting a losing battle. I have recently been advised that it can't be done with an XP disk because of the security they have put into XP. It checks the system configuration and if it's significantly different, Windows won't start.

I had known this but had forgotten but got a first-hand look at what happens when a friend's hard drive was taken out of his machine and put it in another one and then the techy tried to boot, and the same thing happened as you describe. In his case though, at least it proved that the hard drive wasn't dead which was fine because the goal was to find the faulty component. So it's sounding to me like you've tried just putting the hard drive into another machine.

The techy I was speaking to said that he most likely needs a new motherboard and when he gets one, XP will probably have to be reinstalled. Can't comment on that yet because the new board hasn't arrived so I don't have any further information on his problem.

So perhaps that gives you some further information on your situation.

Also, I don't know if you realise that OEM versions aren't actually meant to be separated from the machine they came installed on? If you have a retail version of XP, you can put it onto another machine if you like, (and wipe the first) and Microsoft may be able to help you with that. The disks are less important than whether you have sufficient proof of ownership of the software. If you do, then you can probably get new disks from them fairly cheaply or just borrow someone's that are the same as yours.

Also, come to think of it, I'm pretty sure you will need to get in touch with Microsoft anyway, because if you get that machine up and running, you won't be able to do any updates on your new computer and you may find that your key ends up on the pirate list because of the different configuration. So before the new machine accesses the internet, get in touch with Microsoft and tell them what you are doing, unless someone here has info on that which I don't and can advise with certain knowledge.

5. Triaxx2

Triaxx2 MajorGeek

Figures. I'd moved the drive to another computer already prior to this, without any problems. I guess I'll have to just buy another copy of XP.

I am certain it's not OEM though. The computer it came from originally has the Genuine product sticker. For Win98SE. :)

Anyway, thanks for the help guys.

MajorGeeks.Com Menu

Downloads All In One Tweaks \ Android \ Anti-Malware \ Anti-Virus \ Appearance \ Backup \ Browsers \ CD\DVD\Blu-Ray \ Covert Ops \ Drive Utilities \ Drivers \ Graphics \ Internet Tools \ Multimedia \ Networking \ Office Tools \ PC Games \ System Tools \ Mac/Apple/Ipad Downloads

Other News: Top Downloads \ News (Tech) \ Off Base (Other Websites News) \ Way Off Base (Offbeat Stories and Pics)

Social: Facebook \ YouTube \ Twitter \ Tumblr \ Pintrest \ RSS Feeds