OS problems

Discussion in 'Software' started by jeansl, Sep 22, 2007.

1. jeansl

jeansl Private E-2

I have been trying to fix my laptop for about a week. I have worked with the chaslang on the Malware removal forum and he thinks I have a OS problem and need to do a repair install or maybe a complete reinstall. I need some help. I do have my rescue discs that I made when I first bought the laptop. Could some one guide me through this process?
    L.Jeans

2. hopperdave2000

hopperdave2000 MajorGeek

If you don't have any data you need to save (like pictures, music, documents, programs) would probably be better off doing a complete re-install; format the hard drive and load your OS fresh and clean. You can do this by booting to your restore CD and simply following the on screen prompts. Since I don't know what brand PC you have, and you mentioned restore CD's and not a Windows CD, the install process will be different. I know you can do a safe reload of your OS with the Windows install CD where all your data will be saved (at least 95% of time it works). Restore CD's often do not provide the option of safe install....

hd2k

3. jeansl

jeansl Private E-2

I retreived all the the things I needed off of the problem laptop (IBM thinkpad with Windows XP Pro) using a USB Universal drive adapter. Now I just need to re format I guess. When I bought the laptop new it came preloaded so I don't have the discs. I did however make recovery discs when I first got the lap top.

MajorGeeks.Com Menu

Downloads All In One Tweaks \ Android \ Anti-Malware \ Anti-Virus \ Appearance \ Backup \ Browsers \ CD\DVD\Blu-Ray \ Covert Ops \ Drive Utilities \ Drivers \ Graphics \ Internet Tools \ Multimedia \ Networking \ Office Tools \ PC Games \ System Tools \ Mac/Apple/Ipad Downloads

Other News: Top Downloads \ News (Tech) \ Off Base (Other Websites News) \ Way Off Base (Offbeat Stories and Pics)

Social: Facebook \ YouTube \ Twitter \ Tumblr \ Pintrest \ RSS Feeds