MajorGeeks Support Forums

Go Back   MajorGeeks Support Forums > ----------= PC, Desktop and Laptop Support =---------- > Malware Removal
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Casino Mark Forums Read

Malware Removal Malware removal forum. Please see the READ ME FIRST thread before you post. Forum is staffed by a small number of volunteers, please be patient.


Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
  #1  
Old 09-22-07, 15:26
bburcrof bburcrof is offline
Private E-2
 
Join Date: Sep 2007
Posts: 3
Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Default Yay, malware is The Awesome. Could use some help.

Okay, first things first, I already went through the steps highlighted in the Malware Removal Guide. I'll post my reports here and in the next post...unfortunately, I couldn't find a report saved from the CounterSpy scan...is that saved automatically somewhere?

My symptoms are super-slow Internet navigation, and the interesting hijacking of my Google searches on Firefox...for whatever reason, it seems to go to Google Turkey, or nothing at all..."Error Lander" seems to pop during some searches...

Any help would be most appreciated!

Thanks!

Brent
Attached Files
File Type: txt Activescan.txt (2.2 KB, 1 views)
File Type: txt bdscan.txt (16.6 KB, 1 views)
File Type: txt runkeys.txt (23.9 KB, 1 views)
Reply With Quote
Sponsored links
  #2  
Old 09-22-07, 15:32
bburcrof bburcrof is offline
Private E-2
 
Join Date: Sep 2007
Posts: 3
Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Default Re: Yay, malware is The Awesome. Could use some help.

And, my last report is attached...and thanks again!
Attached Files
File Type: txt newfiles.txt (44.8 KB, 1 views)
Reply With Quote
  #3  
Old 09-22-07, 15:44
chaslang's Avatar
chaslang chaslang is offline
MajorGeeks Admin - Master Malware Expert
 
Join Date: Feb 2004
Location: Northern New Jersey USA
Posts: 80,453
Thanks: 62
Thanked 7,698 Times in 4,150 Posts
Default Re: Yay, malware is The Awesome. Could use some help.

Welcome to Major Geeks!

Quote:
Originally Posted by bburcrof View Post
...unfortunately, I couldn't find a report saved from the CounterSpy scan...is that saved automatically somewhere?
No you need to create the log as stated in the READ ME. Did it find anything other than cookies?


You also forgot to attach the requested HijackThis log from step 7.

Also you need to uninstall the below as requested in steps 6 & 0 of the READ ME:
J2SE Runtime Environment 5.0 Update 10
J2SE Runtime Environment 5.0 Update 3
J2SE Runtime Environment 5.0 Update 4
J2SE Runtime Environment 5.0 Update 6
Java 2 Runtime Environment, SE v1.4.2_03
Java(TM) SE Runtime Environment 6 Update 1
My Way Search Assistant


Quote:
Originally Posted by bburcrof View Post
...My symptoms are super-slow Internet navigation,
May not be due to malware.

Quote:
Originally Posted by bburcrof View Post
...and the interesting hijacking of my Google searches on Firefox...for whatever reason, it seems to go to Google Turkey, or nothing at all..."Error Lander" seems to pop during some searches...
Does this happen if you use Internet Explorer? Does it happen in safe mode?


I see you had run ComboFix and SmitFraudFix before coming here. Why did you run them?

Your logs are not showing any obvious malware issues.
__________________
"There are 10 types of people in this world. Those who understand binary and those who don't."


Support Majorgeeks on Facebook:

Majorgeeks Newsletter

Last edited by chaslang; 09-22-07 at 16:15..
Reply With Quote
  #4  
Old 09-22-07, 18:37
bburcrof bburcrof is offline
Private E-2
 
Join Date: Sep 2007
Posts: 3
Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Default Re: Yay, malware is The Awesome. Could use some help.

Quote:
Originally Posted by chaslang View Post
Welcome to Major Geeks!
Thank you...and thanks for your fast response!

Quote:
Originally Posted by chaslang View Post
No you need to create the log as stated in the READ ME. Did it find anything other than cookies?
Just some old weather desktop program that I thought was long gone...nothing else...


Quote:
Originally Posted by chaslang View Post
You also forgot to attach the requested HijackThis log from step 7.
Attached to this reply...

Quote:
Originally Posted by chaslang View Post
Also you need to uninstall the below as requested in steps 6 & 0 of the READ ME:
J2SE Runtime Environment 5.0 Update 10
J2SE Runtime Environment 5.0 Update 3
J2SE Runtime Environment 5.0 Update 4
J2SE Runtime Environment 5.0 Update 6
Java 2 Runtime Environment, SE v1.4.2_03
Java(TM) SE Runtime Environment 6 Update 1
My Way Search Assistant
Uninstalled all of these except My Way Search Assistant, which I could not find on the Control Panel... Also, should I have left Java(TM) SE Runtime Environment 6 Update 2 installed?


Quote:
Originally Posted by chaslang View Post
May not be due to malware.

Does this happen if you use Internet Explorer? Does it happen in safe mode?
Nope, only in Firefox...IE seems fine...only problem is...I like using Firefox... And as far as in Safe Mode, that's a bit tougher to answer...Even in Safe Mode with Networking, I don't seem to have Internet access...


Quote:
Originally Posted by chaslang View Post
I see you had run ComboFix and SmitFraudFix before coming here. Why did you run them?
Hmmm...I ran all kinds of programs before finding your site...not exactly sure what was what...probably not the most ideal way of dealing with the problem, eh?

Thanks again!

Brent
Attached Files
File Type: log hijackthis.log (11.2 KB, 1 views)
Reply With Quote
  #5  
Old 09-22-07, 20:44
chaslang's Avatar
chaslang chaslang is offline
MajorGeeks Admin - Master Malware Expert
 
Join Date: Feb 2004
Location: Northern New Jersey USA
Posts: 80,453
Thanks: 62
Thanked 7,698 Times in 4,150 Posts
Default Re: Yay, malware is The Awesome. Could use some help.

You did not follow the directions in step 7 of the READ ME. As a result HijackThis was not properly installed and run. Follow the directions in step 7 exactly (including downloading from our link). Then attach a new log.

Uninstall CounterSpy now since we are finished with this free trial.
Is SpySweeper a paid version or free trial?


Quote:
Originally Posted by bburcrof View Post
Uninstalled all of these except My Way Search Assistant, which I could not find on the Control Panel...
Okay then run the below which will help us to find it so we can manually remove it from the registry. Attach the requested log.

Getting Uninstall Programs List From The Registry

Quote:
Originally Posted by bburcrof View Post
Also, should I have left Java(TM) SE Runtime Environment 6 Update 2 installed?
Yes because that is the current version.


Quote:
Originally Posted by bburcrof View Post
Nope, only in Firefox...IE seems fine...only problem is...I like using Firefox.
You may want to try uninstalling FireFox and then rebooting. I also highly recommend that after reboot you delete the C:\Program Files\Mozilla FireFox folder. Then download and reinstall FireFox from this link: Mozilla Firefox

Quote:
Originally Posted by bburcrof View Post
And as far as in Safe Mode, that's a bit tougher to answer...Even in Safe Mode with Networking, I don't seem to have Internet access.
Are you using dialup or DSL?


Quote:
Originally Posted by bburcrof View Post
Hmmm...I ran all kinds of programs before finding your site...not exactly sure what was what...probably not the most ideal way of dealing with the problem, eh?
No it is a very bad idea and can infact sometime be quite dangerous for your PC.
__________________
"There are 10 types of people in this world. Those who understand binary and those who don't."


Support Majorgeeks on Facebook:

Majorgeeks Newsletter
Reply With Quote
Sponsored links
Reply

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Awesome Network evilfantasy The Lounge 7 05-29-07 21:04
Awesome News Lev The Lounge 24 12-08-06 10:43
awesome pavement art ShockTroop The Lounge 4 03-14-06 05:14
Awesome Song NeoNemesis The Lounge 2 03-11-05 21:05
Awesome Commercial newgroove The Lounge 2 02-04-05 16:10


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 16:19.

MajorGeeks.Com Menu

MajorGeeks.Com \ All In One Tweaks \ Android \ Anti-Malware \ Anti-Virus \ Appearance \ Backup \ Browsers \ CD\DVD\Blu-Ray \ Covert Ops \ Drive Utilities \ Drivers \ Graphics \ Internet Tools \ Multimedia \ Networking \ Office Tools \ NEW! PC Games \ System Tools \ Macintosh \ Demonews.Com \ Top Downloads

MajorGeeks.Com \ News (Tech) \ Off Base (Other Websites News) \ Way Off Base (Offbeat Stories and Pics)

Social: Facebook \ YouTube \ Twitter \ Tumblr \ Pintrest \ RSS Feeds


All content Copyright MajorGeeks.com source code Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.4
Copyright © 2009 vBulletin Solutions, Inc. All rights reserved.
Ad Management by RedTyger