winamp critical security update????????

Discussion in 'Software' started by highone, Sep 22, 2007.

1. highone

highone Private E-2

I downloaded a comedy video off of veoh.com and when i tried to play it on my winamp player a chech yes or no window popped up telling me that i must first install a critical security update before playing video. now i was skeptical about the message and was thinking that i just messed up, so I ended the winamp without checking yes or no by using (ctrl-alt-del) and then my machine froze.i then manually rebooted the computer and uninstalled winamp. i have ran my zonealarm a/v, adaware se, asquared, and spyware terminator. and nothing came up but some tracking cookies. what I would like to know was did i freak out over nothing? whe winamp version was 5.35 and i have all my windows updates up to date..

Any help would be greatly appreciated...

Highone :wave

2. BirdBath

BirdBath Sergeant Major

Trojan-Downloader.Zlob.Media-Codec is a program that typically comes in a pop-up warning like you just described. Usually it says it's a needed upgrade to Windows Media Player in order to view videos on certain websites. However, it actually downloads and installs additional malware on your computer. I dont know if there is a version for winamp but 5.35 is the most recent version of winamp so you might have just saved yourself alot of headaches. It is better to be safe. Since you uninstalled winamp you cant check if it needed to be updated but like I said, I don't think you freaked out over nothing.

3. highone

highone Private E-2

Thank you very much for your input, my machine seems to be running fine so hopefully i dodged the bullet....

Thanks again BirdBath and Major Geeks...

The Highone

MajorGeeks.Com Menu

Downloads All In One Tweaks \ Android \ Anti-Malware \ Anti-Virus \ Appearance \ Backup \ Browsers \ CD\DVD\Blu-Ray \ Covert Ops \ Drive Utilities \ Drivers \ Graphics \ Internet Tools \ Multimedia \ Networking \ Office Tools \ PC Games \ System Tools \ Mac/Apple/Ipad Downloads

Other News: Top Downloads \ News (Tech) \ Off Base (Other Websites News) \ Way Off Base (Offbeat Stories and Pics)

Social: Facebook \ YouTube \ Twitter \ Tumblr \ Pintrest \ RSS Feeds