DVD burning program for slow PC?

Discussion in 'Software' started by braveson, Sep 23, 2007.

1. braveson

braveson Private E-2

I have an older PC and want to install a DVD burner to make back-ups of all my stuff.
    Do you know of any burner models and DVD burning programs that will function with my Celeron 697 MHz (320MB of RAM)? I have 100's of GB of free space on the HDD and am running XP Home Edition.

2. brownizs

brownizs MajorGeek

Already attempted to help user in http://forums.majorgeeks.com/showthread.php?t=138648 and described that it is dependant on the burner software such as Nero, which will not work with the archaic machine he has. He may be able to get by with a older burner software, or Open source, but doubtful.

3. braveson

braveson Private E-2

So far I've got:
    "It is not the burner that will be the problem, but the DVD Burning software that will cause you problems.",
    "...Nero, which will NOT work with the archaic machine.", "may be able to get by with a older burner software, or Open source, but doubtful."

You've been very helpful.
    Now I know exactly where you want me to go.

4. bigbazza

bigbazza R.I.P. 14/12/2011 - Good Onya Geek

Check out MG's Backup programs at http://www.majorgeeks.com/downloads3.html. DVD and CD burners listed.

Lots of Freeware and Shareware there, listed for "All" Windows machines. Your choice, of course. :) Bazza

5. sach2

sach2 Major Geek Extraordinaire

I have an old Celeron 500Mhz 25k RAM that I keep around for internet. I put a Liteon 18X Dvd burner(I see they are now all 20X) in it last year and it works fine. I use Nero Express as the burning software. Of course when I burn a DVD I don't attempt to run any other programs during the burn process.

I think all burners list minimum system requirements that are higher than yours but I am fairly sure a DVD burner will work, only perhaps a bit more slowly. I think a DVD takes about 4 minutes longer on my old Celeron than my regular computer which isn't to bad.

6. sach2

sach2 Major Geek Extraordinaire

Braveson, you have your private messages turned off.

I think you'll be very happy with a DVD burner they are so much faster for backups. :)

Just so you know the Lite-On I put in was actually a 16X and the system requirements asked for 1.3 GHZ processor. Like I said it works fine in a Celeron 500 Mhz running Nero 7.0. It actually came with Nero 6.x which is a less processor intensive program but I already had Nero 7 installed and have had no problems writing a couple hundred data disks.

Newegg.com has good prices usually less than $40.00 U.S. for basic DVD burners.

Also Hooperdave often writes replies that list his favorite freeware programs for different burning tasks. He has tried them all so his suggestions might be worth a look if you did run into problems with software.

Good Luck.

MajorGeeks.Com Menu

Downloads All In One Tweaks \ Android \ Anti-Malware \ Anti-Virus \ Appearance \ Backup \ Browsers \ CD\DVD\Blu-Ray \ Covert Ops \ Drive Utilities \ Drivers \ Graphics \ Internet Tools \ Multimedia \ Networking \ Office Tools \ PC Games \ System Tools \ Mac/Apple/Ipad Downloads

Other News: Top Downloads \ News (Tech) \ Off Base (Other Websites News) \ Way Off Base (Offbeat Stories and Pics)

Social: Facebook \ YouTube \ Twitter \ Tumblr \ Pintrest \ RSS Feeds