Slow PC, Not a Malware Problem

Discussion in 'Software' started by RN2006, Sep 25, 2007.

1. RN2006

RN2006 Private E-2

Greetings everyone,

A couple of days ago, I started a thread on the Malware forum to help get rid of a problem I had. After a series of scans and tests, the PC was cleaned and the popup problem stopped.

The PC however remains slow, I mean by that the following:
    - It is particularly slow at boot; it takes up to 5 minutes to be up and running.
    - When I open a program for the 1st time, it takes a minute to load. However, if I close it down and reopen it, it takes only seconds.
    - Connecting to the internet is fast. Browsing is also fast. Download speed varies (I understand that this is common depending on the download source etc.).

The PC is an HP Pavillion zv5000. I have an Intel card, Pentium 4 CPU 3.00GHz and 384 MB of RAM.
    I run a Windows XP SP2.

I have 29 programs and about 81 services that run at start-up. Would you need me to list it? Also what are the only essential ones for a boot, that way I can get rid of some components of that list?

It is definitely not a malware problem as the PC is as clean as it can be txs to majorgeeks experts.

I have also tried a defragment for the PC but it did not help much.

Any ideas or recommendations?

Txs

RN

2. RN2006

RN2006 Private E-2

Anyone has any suggestions about this???

Txs

RN

3. Goran.P

Goran.P MajorGeek

4. samtal

samtal Corporal

Boot-up should take 30 seconds to a minute under normal circumstances, not 5 minutes.

If you have 29 programs at startup, that's way too many.

Basically you need firewall and antivirus at startup.
    Check your ccleaner "tools/startup" button to see what's listed.

Delete all unnecessary programs from that list. It only stops them from starting at boot-up, allowing them to run when needed. Should help your performance.

5. dlb

dlb MajorGeek

I've attached some zipped .PDF articles that you may find helpful....

Attached Files:

6. RN2006

RN2006 Private E-2

thank you all for your help.
    I will try all your recommendations.

RN

MajorGeeks.Com Menu

Downloads All In One Tweaks \ Android \ Anti-Malware \ Anti-Virus \ Appearance \ Backup \ Browsers \ CD\DVD\Blu-Ray \ Covert Ops \ Drive Utilities \ Drivers \ Graphics \ Internet Tools \ Multimedia \ Networking \ Office Tools \ PC Games \ System Tools \ Mac/Apple/Ipad Downloads

Other News: Top Downloads \ News (Tech) \ Off Base (Other Websites News) \ Way Off Base (Offbeat Stories and Pics)

Social: Facebook \ YouTube \ Twitter \ Tumblr \ Pintrest \ RSS Feeds