1. cessenaacrobat

cessenaacrobat Private E-2

Can you tell me if this is malware, a normal cache folder or what? I dont recall seeing it before on my C drive. I googled it and there seems to be different opinions on what it is. I regularly use CC cleaner, AD aware and Zone alarm, and Norton for antivirus. I only ever come up with the tracker cookies that are rated low risk. ( I remove them.). I've used register cleaners etc. So I figure my puter is pretty clean. No redirects on my browser, no popups. Yet I ve had a problem with my boot up being extremely slow. I find nothing, the programs I have find nothing. I was blaming Norton. Help.

Missy:eek:

Last edited: Sep 25, 2007
  2. chaslang

chaslang MajorGeeks Admin - Master Malware Expert Staff Member

What is your question exactly?
    1. Is it whether a file named SB_usb_log is malware? And isn't the file name really SB_usb_log.txt ?
    2. Or is it whether a slow PC means you have malware?
    For 1, it is not malware. It is probably relate to a Motorola USB Driver Removal Utility You could just load the file into notepad and probably get more info on what it is.

For 2, most frequently slow PCs are cause by what you are running and not by malware. But you would have to be more specific and describe exactly what operations are slow and is it always like that. Also is it slow in safe boot mode.

3. cessenaacrobat

cessenaacrobat Private E-2

I was wondering if that SB_usb_log was malware, and you're right it does show as a text document. Its how slow my boot up is that s making me go hmmm. I ve done, all kinds of stuff scanned, disk check, defrag << all the good stuff plus I just opened my case and blew it out about a month ago. But its slow... I mean like really slow just on boot up. It can take up to 5/10 min. My apps and any prog I run are as fast as always. My start up I try to keep lean. sys requirements, zone alarm and anti virus. At first I was thinking it was my Norton. Its always the last and longest to load up. But Norton seems to be working ok. Never tried going in on Safe Mode. I ve checked my events and security logs too. I don't find anything installed shouldnt be. pent 4 dell dimension 8200 xp OS, 2.40ghz, 512 ram. Any thoughts?

Missy

Last edited: Sep 25, 2007
  4. chaslang

chaslang MajorGeeks Admin - Master Malware Expert Staff Member

In most cases slow boot ups are due to what you have installed and are running and that is where you should look. Actually Norton is a major contributor to PC slow downs especially if what you have installed is one of the Internet Security Suites. If you want to know if it is your problem, you need to uninstall it completely. Do not make the mistake of just trying to disable it in MSconfig which never has the same effect (especially if you don't disable all startup as well as all services).

Your PC really as an inadequate amount of RAM for the way applications work these days. The minimum I would suggest is 1 GB.

You really should test to see how your PC boots in safe mode and let me know. While I could have you run the full READ & RUN ME sticky procedure to check for malware, I tend to doubt that it is your main problem even though it is possible that you have some malware. It's your decision if you would like to do this check, but if your PC is fine after initial startup, it is most likely due to the applications you have loading at startup. As stated, Norton is a big problem and ZoneAlarm (especially newer versions) also causes slow downs on many PC especially ones with inadequate amounts of RAM.

MajorGeeks.Com Menu

Downloads All In One Tweaks \ Android \ Anti-Malware \ Anti-Virus \ Appearance \ Backup \ Browsers \ CD\DVD\Blu-Ray \ Covert Ops \ Drive Utilities \ Drivers \ Graphics \ Internet Tools \ Multimedia \ Networking \ Office Tools \ PC Games \ System Tools \ Mac/Apple/Ipad Downloads

Other News: Top Downloads \ News (Tech) \ Off Base (Other Websites News) \ Way Off Base (Offbeat Stories and Pics)

Social: Facebook \ YouTube \ Twitter \ Tumblr \ Pintrest \ RSS Feeds