"Program Updates" mysteriously installed on my system

Discussion in 'Software' started by usafveteran, Sep 25, 2007.

1. usafveteran

usafveteran MajorGeek

Hi everyone. I'd like to know what you think about this.

I just noticed this today. I have something called "Program Updates" on my Programs menu and in my Control Panel. Running Win XP SP2. Here are two screen prints:
    [​IMG]

and, from Control Panel: [​IMG]

I don't know for sure how it got installed on my system. On 9/23/07, I installed software from Walmart for downloading music; it's called Wal-Mart Music Downloads Store. As I said, I did not notice the Programs Updates item at that time.

It, i.e. Programs Updates, does not work, either. If I open it from either the Programs menu or Control Panel, makes no difference. Here's what it looks like:
    http://i7.photobucket.com/albums/y256/farmpond/forums/ProgramUpdates3.jpg As you can see, it appears to be an incomplete user interface.

I'm thinking of this strategy of attack. Uninstall Wal-Mart Music Downloads Store, in case Programs Updates did get installed with it [I doubt it did, but I can re-install Wal-Mart Music Downloads Store later]. Restore to a Restore Point prior to installing Wal-Mart Music Downloads Store. Take a look and see whether Programs Updates is gone. If not, try CCleaner. If gone, run CCleaner anyway. And, if I reinstall Wal-Mart Music Downloads Store, look closely at my Programs menu and Control Panel to verify this thing has not reappeared.

Edit: fyi, I'm behind a router, I'm using an older version of Norton Personal Fireware; I use AVG Free anti-virus, and Ad-aware and Spybot S & D.

2. Clark_Kent

Clark_Kent MajorGeek

I had that icon when a install a game call Two worlds it was for updating the game......

3. usafveteran

usafveteran MajorGeek

Could you open it separately and initiate updates from it's window, or did you simply need to have it installed to get updates to the game by initiating the updates in a window for the game program?

In addition to info I previously posted, I just thought of something else. My son has used my computer for Internet access on or since 9/23, but I'm not aware of him installing anything. He's computer-savvy and I know he normally would not install something on my computer without asking first. I have not had a chance to ask him yet (he's at work), just to confirm he did not install anything.

4. Clark_Kent

Clark_Kent MajorGeek

And if you did NOT install anything just un-install then it must be on add/remove program on the control pannel.....

And see what happen.....

5. usafveteran

usafveteran MajorGeek

Status report:
    I uninstalled Wal-Mart Music Downloads Store and that removed the Programs Updates program also.

A week ago today, I attended a meeting of a local computer users group and saw a presentation on downloading, playing, burning, etc., music. The presenter used Wal-Mart as a music source and mentioned the Wal-Mart Music Downloads Store software but did not mention that another program would also get installed. I'm going to contact him and inquire about this.

6. plodr

plodr Major Geek Super Extraordinaire

If I want to know about anything strange, I usually right click the icon. If it is a shortcut, it will show you the location of the original in the target so you can explore to it. Once I am sure it is the original, I right click and select Properties. From there click on the version tab. That will give you information not only about the version of the software but what company it came from.
    You can also do a find/search for the file and the details will give info about when the program entered your computer.

MajorGeeks.Com Menu

Downloads All In One Tweaks \ Android \ Anti-Malware \ Anti-Virus \ Appearance \ Backup \ Browsers \ CD\DVD\Blu-Ray \ Covert Ops \ Drive Utilities \ Drivers \ Graphics \ Internet Tools \ Multimedia \ Networking \ Office Tools \ PC Games \ System Tools \ Mac/Apple/Ipad Downloads

Other News: Top Downloads \ News (Tech) \ Off Base (Other Websites News) \ Way Off Base (Offbeat Stories and Pics)

Social: Facebook \ YouTube \ Twitter \ Tumblr \ Pintrest \ RSS Feeds