Please Help

Discussion in 'Software' started by bbolin06, Sep 25, 2007.

1. bbolin06

bbolin06 Private First Class

I go to start\ control panel\ add and delete programs but cant open it. It just beeps once and then nothing. I can open up everything else in control panel. I downloaded ccleaner and ad-aware but it still does it. I have ran both in safe and normal mode. I also get alot of pop ups. I have also gone to add and delete programs in ccleaner and dont see anything crazy in it.

Dell Inspiron 1300
    1.60ghz
    502 mbs of ram
    xp pro with vista add on

2. Lev

Lev MajorGeek

You may be missing some registry entries. Try this:

Click Start > Run and type cmd

Press Enter.

In the command window that appears type regsvr32 mshtml.dll then press Enter. Click OK.

In the command window type regsvr32 shdocvw.dll -i then press Enter. Click OK.

In the Command window, type regsvr32 shell32.dll -i, then press Enter. Click OK.

Close the command window.

3. bbolin06

I did all that but still not able to go into add / delete programs anything else I may try thank you

4. bbolin06

OK I uninstalled it but still cant download anything or open add/ delete programs any thing else I might try? Thank you

5. Lev

Lev MajorGeek

Out of interest, Have you tried accessing the Add/Remove Programs option in safe mode? Try that, let me know how you get on....more coming shortly...

Also you said in your last post you cannot download anythiing....you didn;t say this in the original post. Is this a new symptom?

6. bbolin06

I have tried in safe mode to and nothing and just found out I cant download anything. Still cant open add/ delete programs

7. bbolin06

I installed mozilla firefox and now I can download. I just cant download with explorer. But still cant get into add/ delete programs thank you very much

8. Lev

Lev MajorGeek

You downloaded CCLeaner and Adaware recently. What I am trying to get at is has the download problem only started since you removed the Vista add on? You are running IE7.0, right?

Try this for the add/remove programs issue:

Click Start, Run and type Regedit.exe

Navigate to the following branches one by one:

HKEY_CURRENT_USER \ Software \ Microsoft \ Windows \ CurrentVersion \ Policies \ Uninstall

HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE \ Software \ Microsoft \ Windows \ CurrentVersion \ Policies \ Uninstall

Delete the NoAddRemovePrograms value if present in the above locations.

9. bbolin06

Thanks I tried that and those entries were not there. I also noticed besides not being able to get into add/ delete programs. I also cant get to the windows firewall, device manager it just seems to be in the control panel everything else it works in the computer. Like I said it seems just like its only in the control panel there are acouple of icons that wont open at all. they dont give errors they just beep and then nothing. Please help this is aggrravating

10. TimW

TimW MajorGeeks Administrator - Jedi Malware Expert Staff Member

Please go to the Malware section and do the Read and Run First sticky!!

Then post with a description of the problems and attach the requested logs.

You may do this first:
    Download this file - Combofix.exe
    Double click combofix.exe & follow the prompts.
    When finished, it will produce a log for you. Attach this log to your next reply

Note:

Do not mouseclick combofix's window while it is running. That may cause it to stall.

Attach this log also!

11. bbolin06

the combofix report thank you

Attached Files:

Last edited by a moderator: Sep 28, 2007
  12. bjgarrick

bjgarrick MajorGeeks Admin - Malware Expert

It appears you have Trojan Vundo and other infections. As Tim previously stated, you should post in the Malware Removal.

You should first follow the link in my signature, "READ & RUN ME" and post your logs in the thread you create.

MajorGeeks.Com Menu

Downloads All In One Tweaks \ Android \ Anti-Malware \ Anti-Virus \ Appearance \ Backup \ Browsers \ CD\DVD\Blu-Ray \ Covert Ops \ Drive Utilities \ Drivers \ Graphics \ Internet Tools \ Multimedia \ Networking \ Office Tools \ PC Games \ System Tools \ Mac/Apple/Ipad Downloads

Other News: Top Downloads \ News (Tech) \ Off Base (Other Websites News) \ Way Off Base (Offbeat Stories and Pics)

Social: Facebook \ YouTube \ Twitter \ Tumblr \ Pintrest \ RSS Feeds