Error Message - Windows Cannot Access.....; Unsure What It Means

Discussion in 'Software' started by tkbirdie, Sep 27, 2007.

1. tkbirdie

tkbirdie Private E-2

I have been having problems accessing some programs. I keep getting the following message "Windows cannot access the specified device, path or file. You may not have the appropriate permissions to access the item". I do not know what it means or how to fix it. Any ideas would be grateful. I had to do a repair of XP, due to viruses and the message has been coming since. People keep telling me to run scans - done them, clean; go into safe mode - do not want to do anything without assistance, in case I do something wrong. I do not know what to do.
    Thanks in advance.

2. mcadam

mcadam Major Amnesia

Are you using a user login with limited account privileges?

3. sosaman

sosaman Sergeant Major

also, are you sure your shortcuts are associated, and/or pointing to the correct path? you should be able to "right click", then "properties", and on the shorcut tab (if there is one), it should say where it is pointing (screenshot below). g/l, sos

Attached Files:

4. tkbirdie

tkbirdie Private E-2

All the user accounts are administrators, according to control panel. All the programs are linked to the right shortcuts.

5. Lev

Lev MajorGeek

You say some programs....which ones specifically? Just a few or many?

Have you tried to access the program in safe mode? Does it work?

What anti virus and firewall are you running? You could try in normal mode disabling each one in turn and then try accessing the program.

Do you have Spysweeper running?

6. tkbirdie

tkbirdie Private E-2

Programs, eg Adobe, WinAmp, Photo Editor, AVG (the ones that I know of)
    Unsure of safe mode - not comfortable about messing around in there (but I'll get back to you on that)
    No antivirus software - AVG won't run because of the permissions message
    ZoneAlarm firewall - I have turned off the firewall, allowed Windows Firewall to turn on, but still the error message comes up.
    Do not have SpySweeper installed - have CCleaner, Spybot, AdAdware. SuperAntiSpyware, NoAdware.

7. tkbirdie

tkbirdie Private E-2

Programs work fine in safe mode.

8. Lev

Lev MajorGeek

Just want to be clear on this - did you turn off the firewall and THEN try to access the programs you are having difficulty with? If so fine, if not, try it. Afterwards you can re-enable it.

I am wondering if this is an AVG issue that is preventing you from accessing the files except in safe mode. You could try uninstalling and then rebooting and attempting to access these programs to see if this is the case. If it makes no difference you can re-install AVG again afterwards (providing it is the free version or you have access to the necessary full paid version).

9. tkbirdie

tkbirdie Private E-2

I turned off the ZoneAlarm and Windows Firewall. I tried to access the programs and still the message appears.

10. Lev

Lev MajorGeek

You should not have two firewalls running - they serve no additional purpose and just slow your PC down. My recommendation is to turn off the Windows firewall and just leave the Zonealarm firewall running.

Have you tried uninstalling AVG and seeing if you can then access the programs? I know this seems like a lot of work, but AVG has been proven to produice this kind of issue before.

11. tkbirdie

tkbirdie Private E-2

The Windows Firewall automatically turns on when ZoneAlarm turns off. I have changed the settings to stop that from happening. Do you think that AVG could have caused the problems?

12. tkbirdie

tkbirdie Private E-2

Here's a list of error messages that I have been getting. It might help. Tomorrow, I will post the latest HiJack This log. I had to install it onto another internal hard drive (smaller than the original), due to the permissions message.

Everytime I try to reinstall Office 2003, here's the message I get before it finishes
    "Microsoft Office 2003 Setup
    Error 2932. An internal error has occurred (C:\WINDOWS\INSTALLER\{91E30409-6000-11D3-8CFE-015004838C9}\xlicons.exe 5). Contact Microsoft Product Support Services (PSS) for assistance. For information about how to contact PSS, see C:\Program Files\Microsoft Office\OFFICE11\1033\PSS10R.CHM"
    I'm guessing this is why the icons do not appear.

Permissions message
    "Windows cannot access the specified device, path, or file. You may not have the appropriate permissions to access the item"

Startup message
    "RUNDLL
    Error loading
    C:\WINDOWS\System32\NvMcTray.dll"

13. Lev

Lev MajorGeek

1. OK, you still need to answer my question - have you uninstalled AVG or not?

2. Do NOT post any HijackThis files before reading this link http://forums.majorgeeks.com/showthread.php?t=38752

3.The NvMcTray.dll is because you have a Nvidia graphics card and the driver either got deleted or corrupted. You can download a new driver from here http://forums.majorgeeks.com/showthread.php?t=38752 If that doesn;t work try disabling the icon from your Display Properties/Settings/Advanced menu and see if the problem goes away.

14. tkbirdie

tkbirdie Private E-2

I have tried to uninstall AVG, but I cannot because it keeps saying permission denied. I will not post the HJT log, unless you want me to. The link you gave me for Nvidia links to the HJT thread. I will try the second option - turning it off through advanced settings.

15. Lev

Lev MajorGeek

Apologies...my bad. Here is the correct link http://www.dll-files.com/dllindex/dll-files.shtml?nvmctray

16. Novice

Novice MajorGeek

Don't mean to butt in, as it seems that you have some great people helping you!
    You mentioned having several profiles ( more than one ) on the machine. Does this happen with every user's login or just yours? It could be as simple as a corrupted profile and that is why I'm asking. :)

17. tkbirdie

tkbirdie Private E-2

The same problems occur in all users. Do you think that I might as well back up and reformat the hard drive?

18. Lev

Lev MajorGeek

Good suggestion Novice, thanks :)

Did you try the dll file Tk?

19. tkbirdie

tkbirdie Private E-2

The dll message has disappeared but I still have the other messages. You know what, I think I might just back up my files and reformat the drive. The computer only seems to work properly in safe mode (I checked after reassuring myself). Thanks for all your assistance.

MajorGeeks.Com Menu

Downloads All In One Tweaks \ Android \ Anti-Malware \ Anti-Virus \ Appearance \ Backup \ Browsers \ CD\DVD\Blu-Ray \ Covert Ops \ Drive Utilities \ Drivers \ Graphics \ Internet Tools \ Multimedia \ Networking \ Office Tools \ PC Games \ System Tools \ Mac/Apple/Ipad Downloads

Other News: Top Downloads \ News (Tech) \ Off Base (Other Websites News) \ Way Off Base (Offbeat Stories and Pics)

Social: Facebook \ YouTube \ Twitter \ Tumblr \ Pintrest \ RSS Feeds