remote controll over network?

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by jonsimmonds, Mar 7, 2003.

1. jonsimmonds

jonsimmonds Private E-2

is there a way to controll other machines on a network, just to enable it to power on and off?

2. snakefoot

snakefoot Sergeant Major

3. Iceburg

Iceburg Private First Class

APC makes some hardware that is capable of this, It also intrgrates KVM in if you want, if its not a problem (couple hundred dollars) then I can find it on the internet for you, as far as a free solution, I have no idea. The APC one looks like a power supply, and you plug COmputer A into AC power slot A, and then you go to the internal address of the APC unit, and it will power on or off the machine. I used it in a Lab situation where I was too lazy to walk down staits to reboot machines that had crashed.

-Nick

4. jonsimmonds

jonsimmonds Private E-2

all i want to do is do it via software, in the power management options for the network card it says alow this device to power up the computer, as well as the wake up on lan option in the bios, jsut wondering if this was possible without having to get out of my chair to power up/down, i am after a free solution as its only for in my room! ill give that software a go

Jon

5. Ryanwb

Ryanwb Private E-2

Use Netmeeting, it is built in.

From a commad line type "conf" (no quotes)

6. Ryanwb

Ryanwb Private E-2

I should say from the run command type conf

7. Ryanwb

Ryanwb Private E-2

Wait, one more time, I read that you are wanting to just power it on and off? You can power the PC off fine with any thirdparty utility, but to power it back on remotely is another story. You would need to use a "wake on lan" product. I have used a product put out by intel, I switched all my Ethernet Cards to E100b and I can turn on and off from across the country.

MajorGeeks.Com Menu

Downloads All In One Tweaks \ Android \ Anti-Malware \ Anti-Virus \ Appearance \ Backup \ Browsers \ CD\DVD\Blu-Ray \ Covert Ops \ Drive Utilities \ Drivers \ Graphics \ Internet Tools \ Multimedia \ Networking \ Office Tools \ PC Games \ System Tools \ Mac/Apple/Ipad Downloads

Other News: Top Downloads \ News (Tech) \ Off Base (Other Websites News) \ Way Off Base (Offbeat Stories and Pics)

Social: Facebook \ YouTube \ Twitter \ Tumblr \ Pintrest \ RSS Feeds