? mark in device manager

Discussion in 'Software' started by bbolin06, Sep 27, 2007.

1. bbolin06

bbolin06 Private First Class

When I startup my computer it finds this new hardware to install. When I go into device manager it has a yellow ? next to modem device on high definition audio bus driver. What is it? What do I need to install it? My sound works, nic card and wireless works. So I dont know what I need to install.

Dell Inspiron 1300 laptop
    512 mbs of ram
    windows xp
    1.6 ghz

2. sosaman

sosaman Sergeant Major

well, i don't have an answer, but they will need more information. have you installed anything recently (new hardware/software), since this started happening? if you go back to device manager, what is the error code?

Attached Files:

3. COMPUABLE

COMPUABLE First Sergeant

>> When I go into device manager it has a yellow ? next to modem device on high definition audio bus driver. What is it? bbolin06<<

A black exclamation point (!) on a yellow field [within the device manager] indicates the device is in a so-called "problem state." However a device that is recognized such - in a problem state - can still be functioning.

There is a useful freeware utility which you can use; which is called Unknown Device Identifier

Unknown Device Identifier allows users to identify numerous different types of "unknown devices" (usually the yellow question marked devices which are labeled 'Unknown Devices' in Device Manager). It reports an extensive and detailed summary with the manufacturer name, OEM name, device type, device model and very often even the exact name/serial number; etc. of these unknown devices.

Supported OS: Windows 95, Windows 98, Windows 98SE, and Windows Me, Windows 2000, Windows XP and Windows 2003. You might even run the small freeware utility from CD or floppy.

You might also try Halfdone Development's freeware utility called: Unknown Devices 1.2 which is available right here at Major Geeks to help you discover unknown devices and figure out what they really are.

Good Luck!

4. Mongoose

Mongoose Private E-2

The card in that picture is disabled you know. If that's the same card as bolin is talking about then that might explain the yellow '?'.

5. sosaman

sosaman Sergeant Major

lol, yes i know that, i was just using that for demonstration purposes (so to speak). when i am using my wireless (which is 90% of the time) on my laptop. i disable my wired portion, etc. (oh, and mines a red mark) ;)

thx, COMPUABLE, i'll take note (i was just trying to get more information)...

Attached Files:

6. bbolin06

bbolin06 Private First Class

Thank you to all I fixed it with your help......Bobby

MajorGeeks.Com Menu

Downloads All In One Tweaks \ Android \ Anti-Malware \ Anti-Virus \ Appearance \ Backup \ Browsers \ CD\DVD\Blu-Ray \ Covert Ops \ Drive Utilities \ Drivers \ Graphics \ Internet Tools \ Multimedia \ Networking \ Office Tools \ PC Games \ System Tools \ Mac/Apple/Ipad Downloads

Other News: Top Downloads \ News (Tech) \ Off Base (Other Websites News) \ Way Off Base (Offbeat Stories and Pics)

Social: Facebook \ YouTube \ Twitter \ Tumblr \ Pintrest \ RSS Feeds