Discussion in 'Software' started by tunered, Sep 28, 2007.

1. tunered

tunered MajorGeek

How about a sticky warning people about the problems of reverting back to xp on a vista configured pc. ed

2. Adrynalyne

Adrynalyne Guest

Not enough cases to warrant it. That and most people ignore stickies anyway.

3. Colemanguy

Colemanguy MajorGeek

Dont take this the wrong way, but usually when a computer has a made to run os sticker, ie made to run vista, its pretty common for older os's to not have drivers, this isn't really new to vista. I had a laptop that was designed to run 2000 once, tried to get back 98 and had a terrible time getting drivers. I wonder if its because of the bad publicity vista is getting more people trying to go back to xp making it an issue.

4. augiedoggie

augiedoggie The Canadian Loon - LocoAugie (R.I.P. 2012)

From what I've seen it's mainly lack of drivers for their peripherals and their older software not working on Vista. One guy said he would have had to fork out $2K to rebuy his periphs and upgrade the SW. The minority is people just saying 'I hate Vista'.rolleyes

5. Adrynalyne

Adrynalyne Guest

Every device I have is 3+ years old. All had drivers, most built in to Vista.

I'll never understand this mentality people have that you can buy hardware once, and it will last you an enternity.

6. baklogic

baklogic The Tinkerer

Unfortunately there are many that I know who have wanted to go back to XP, and it has cropped up a few times on majorgeeks.
    I, also, would have thought it worth a sticky - its todays main point of aggro.
    Notwithstanding that, I can only really see a problem if the motherboard has a problem.
    Drivers for the chipsets are the ones, I suppose.
    It is not easy to go back, but not impossible, but maybe beyond the non geeks - dual booting seems to be the only real answer, if they want to have XP, but when Vista is on first, and people have new computers, warranty issues can be tricky.
    From my little experience with Vista, and trying out cinfigurations, I cannot see why it could not be a ready available sticky , and I feel the sticky would be picked up when people google the web, and lead more to majorgeeks.
    I was pleased to convince a particularly "don't want Vista" friend to stick with it, and found the friend doubly pleased with it. However, I did help with the software - free compatable programs, much of which I found through majorgeeks forums, and by looking ahead. At the time, I was still green - but for business it can be a nightmare, costing a lot of money to change periphials - Vista has compatability, but it needs to be made much more compatable for older periphials, and have some sort of fix for older software to allow it to work, until people can all afford to upgrade all their software, then it will come into its own - Otherwise it will continue to be slow in its uptake (especially business users).
    I only had a problem with a scanner, and had been purchasing new sofware BEFORE I installed Vista, and free ones as I spotted them.
    Sticky ???

7. augiedoggie

My bottom of the line HP printer and scanner are about that old and surprisingly HP came through with their suite for Vista this past Feb. but my friend's Lexmark all-in-one still doesn't have drivers and it cost a lot more than my stuff and is newer. I remember people screaming for just a simple driver for HP printers in the beta NGs. On a side note, OEMs will be able to ship XP machines into June 2K8 now. Hmm. http://www.eweek.com/article2/0,1759,2189917,00.asp

8. baklogic

baklogic The Tinkerer

Trouble with Vista discussions is that they can go off the original question so easily--
    Of course there is a way for Microsoft to get Vista racing - let the oem builders supply dual booting computers- with 'The Vista upgrade, on one partition, and XP on the other ready for any purchaser to just swap partitions as their software , and hardware are upgraded. Todays hard drives are large enough, but it would be interesting to see how those in need of raid configurations got on.

9. augiedoggie

I don't see this as going off topic, we're only discussing the possible trials and tribulations of going to Vista which was the intention of tunered I believe. As to seeing dually booted XP/VISTA OEM machines, I wouldn't hold my breath. That's not exactly in the best interests of MS.

10. baklogic

baklogic The Tinkerer

Actually, as Microsoft want to off-load XP asap, it could be done with hard drive backup only, and possibly with only Vista on the backup partition, and no cd,s.;)
    The possibilty of piracy of that XP number would be reduced - The OEM manufacturers could use the same XP on the second partition, with Vista updated on the other partition, as Vista is harder (at present) to adultarate as far as accepting different changes in minimul hardware, before refusing to play, than XP. Any Microsoft validating by phone could be referred to the OEM manufacturers references. It would also make it easier for genuine users to revalidate, if they change hardware.:hammer
    JUST AN IDEA:major
    Maybe I am too much of an idealist:duck

11. bigbazza

bigbazza R.I.P. 14/12/2011 - Good Onya Geek

Adds to the initial outlay with 2 MS Os'es required. :cry

Most people go for the cheapest $$$, not knowing how to check out the Vista performance Index (VPI)on each machine/price break, they are looking at.

There is a good reason why one PC may be hundreds of $$$ cheaper.
    Check out the VPI scores and you will soon see the weaknesses in each PC.

Usually RAM and graphics card, but most people just see the $$$ price tags. My $0.02. Bazza

===

12. baklogic

baklogic The Tinkerer

Microsoft is/was offering free update to genuine XP purchasers, for Vista --What then would be the extra cost? - These free updates could be directed to OEM manufacturers, - Oem manufacturers would not , then have to charge extra - the minimul work of setting up is probably done in bulk - Vista would be pushed out, IT could update from XP to the Vista partion as , and when it suited - Microsoft could phase out production of XP , EARLIER - everyone wins.
    I know ................Idealistic:crap

13. baklogic

baklogic The Tinkerer

I know that I have HyperOs, and copies of both on a single hard drive, and more on a second hard drive - The scanner that would not work in Vista is used in an XP partition, and the document/picture saved in another data partition - so easy to run together - ifb I change my scanner, for one compatable with Vista, I will probably hardly use XP, as Vista is such a pleasant change - not everyone will agree, but dual/triple booting with Vista and XP , is a treat - best of both worlds.

14. baklogic

baklogic The Tinkerer

As the discussion started about reverting back to XP/ uninstalling Vista, I thought this from Microsoft, that I collected before installing Vista, might be useful in this post.
    Want to uninstall Vista ?

Microsoft's uninstallation information

http://windowshelp.microsoft.com/Windows/en-US/help/893d4cb7-aff8-45d9-b94e-e1d6f25894ef1033.mspx

Multi- boot system ? Microsoft help to remove Vista.

http://windowshelp.microsoft.com/Windows/en-US/Help/0a522b50-983b-4b6f-8e07-b33471e027c01033.mspx

:hammer

MajorGeeks.Com Menu

Downloads All In One Tweaks \ Android \ Anti-Malware \ Anti-Virus \ Appearance \ Backup \ Browsers \ CD\DVD\Blu-Ray \ Covert Ops \ Drive Utilities \ Drivers \ Graphics \ Internet Tools \ Multimedia \ Networking \ Office Tools \ PC Games \ System Tools \ Mac/Apple/Ipad Downloads

Other News: Top Downloads \ News (Tech) \ Off Base (Other Websites News) \ Way Off Base (Offbeat Stories and Pics)

Social: Facebook \ YouTube \ Twitter \ Tumblr \ Pintrest \ RSS Feeds