Need help with folder identification

Discussion in 'Software' started by JGALL, Sep 29, 2007.

1. JGALL

JGALL Private E-2

Just recently bought a used computer from a retail outlet with XP Pro and not much else. I have been setting it up with anti-virus and other necessaries and it runs great. I've been fiddling with Explorer trying to get it to open in C: and during that I somehow got it to open the Windows folder and there I found the files like I've never seen before. View is set to "Type".
    First folder (in black text): $hf_mig$ (236mg) contains a bunch of files KB8***** andKB9*****.
    Second folder (in blue text-like a internet link): $MSI31Uninstall_KB893803v2$, followed by nearly three pages of folders in blue text titled $NTUninstallKB8***** and $NTUninstallKB9*****$.
    Are they the result of the retail store deleting Windows Office?
    Will someone please tell me what these folders are, are they necessary, should they be deleted, and why do they show up in blue?
    They take up quite a bit of space.
    Thanks

2. evilfantasy

evilfantasy Malware Fighter

Windows updates KB??????

Windows updates uninstallers $NTUninstallKB?????

The updates you will obviously want to keep.

The uninstallers can be removed (as long as things are ok with the updates) with CCleaner under the:
    Cleaner Tab
    Advanced
    Hotfix Uninstallers

Download CCleaner Here

3. JGALL

JGALL Private E-2

Sorry, I guess my brain isn't working. Are you saying all these folders in blue text named $NTUninstallKB8***** and $NTUninstallKB9*****$ should be kept or deleted?

4. evilfantasy

evilfantasy Malware Fighter

Those are the uninstallers and yes they can be deleted.
    All of the Windows Updates come with an uninstaller for that update. So if the update crashes or makes your computer act up you can then uninstall the update and get back to normal.

Some people like to keep them and some people (me) delete them once the computer shows it will be stable with the new updates.

I quote this from a trusted member, Compuable from This Post
    Hope I am not confusing you. I can do that at times, lol.

5. JGALL

JGALL Private E-2

O.K. I understand now. I went back to CCleaner and looked closer - I must have a diferent version - what you said I should run was greyed out so I had ignored it. Everything is fine.
    Thank you very much!
    Take care.

MajorGeeks.Com Menu

Downloads All In One Tweaks \ Android \ Anti-Malware \ Anti-Virus \ Appearance \ Backup \ Browsers \ CD\DVD\Blu-Ray \ Covert Ops \ Drive Utilities \ Drivers \ Graphics \ Internet Tools \ Multimedia \ Networking \ Office Tools \ PC Games \ System Tools \ Mac/Apple/Ipad Downloads

Other News: Top Downloads \ News (Tech) \ Off Base (Other Websites News) \ Way Off Base (Offbeat Stories and Pics)

Social: Facebook \ YouTube \ Twitter \ Tumblr \ Pintrest \ RSS Feeds