Can't Get MSN Messenger 4.7 to GO AWAY

Discussion in 'Software' started by triespice, Sep 29, 2007.

1. triespice

triespice Private E-2

Hello

For the longest time, ((probably since it was actually IN use)) I have had version 4.7 of msn messenger on my computer.
    I don't know HOW to get rid of it.

It isn't in the control panel under my hardware (so i can't uninstall it)
    I can't go start-search and look for it (so that I can uninstall it)

Many times I have uninstalled Windows Live Messenger (WLM) in hopes that 4.7 would go with it, and it usually doesn't.

I have been having some speed issues, and some virus issues I am trying to deal with, so I am at the point where I want to get rid of programs that i KNOW i dont use

So just now, I AGAIN uninstalled WLM and rebooted. I searched for it, and yes it was gone, then all of a sudden that little green man in the bottom right hand corner with the red/white "X" showed up, and there it is...MSN Messenger 4.7

I don't show ANY trace of it ANYWHERE and I want to PLEASE know how to get rid of it.

This is one of a few posts today, so please feel free to check out the other posts if you are in an overly helpful mood

TIA as always,
    TRIE

2. evilfantasy

evilfantasy Malware Fighter

Are you sure this is not Windows Messenger (different from MSN Messenger)?

3. triespice

triespice Private E-2

goodness it IS windows messenger 4.7
    UGH, how silly do I feel...
    nontheless, I have NO i dea where it is installed or running from.

4. BirdBath

BirdBath Sergeant Major

This will uninstall it.

Click on Start > Run

And then type or copy/paste this in the window:

RunDll32 advpack.dll,LaunchINFSection %windir%\INF\msmsgs.inf,BLC.Remove

press enter.

MajorGeeks.Com Menu

Downloads All In One Tweaks \ Android \ Anti-Malware \ Anti-Virus \ Appearance \ Backup \ Browsers \ CD\DVD\Blu-Ray \ Covert Ops \ Drive Utilities \ Drivers \ Graphics \ Internet Tools \ Multimedia \ Networking \ Office Tools \ PC Games \ System Tools \ Mac/Apple/Ipad Downloads

Other News: Top Downloads \ News (Tech) \ Off Base (Other Websites News) \ Way Off Base (Offbeat Stories and Pics)

Social: Facebook \ YouTube \ Twitter \ Tumblr \ Pintrest \ RSS Feeds