Need keyboard 'protection' prog

Discussion in 'Software' started by dlb, Sep 29, 2007.

1. dlb

dlb MajorGeek

A few days ago I was converting some video files. I turn off the monitor when I do this because it can take some time and I don't want to use resources with a screensaver. After a couple of hours I turn the monitor back on and see that the PC has been put into standby. I'm assuming that my cat took a nap on the keyboard and used the sleep or standby key as a pillow. Anyway, going into standby kind of messed up the video conversion and I had to start over. So, is there some software that will effectively 'turn off' the keyboard until a particular sequence of keys are pressed (like I'd need to press Esc three times followed by abc123 or something) or until the mouse is right-clicked three times or whatever? I think I've seen something like this before a couple years ago but can't remember where...

2. COMPUABLE

COMPUABLE First Sergeant

>> So, is there some software that will effectively 'turn off' the keyboard until a particular sequence of keys are pressed (like I'd need to press Esc three times followed by abc123 or something) or until the mouse is right-clicked three times or whatever? dlb <<

Tooler is a tiny freeware program that will allow you to create a shortcut that when clicked on will disable the mouse and keyboard. It will also allow you to create other shortcuts to run screensaver, turn off the monitor, eject or close the cd-rom tray, disable keyboard, disable screensaver, screensaver, restart pc, log out, etc

Squeaky Clean is also freeware and is good for disabling just the mouse (for cleaning, etc).

Good Luck!

3. dlb

dlb MajorGeek

Thanks. I'll look into those apps. I could swear that I saw something that actually mentioned cats in the name of the program and it was for protecting the keyboard from accidental keystrokes from cats walking across it. And it's exactly what I need but I can't remember what it was called to save my life. But I'll look at the links above, I'm sure one of those is fine.... thanks again.

4. COMPUABLE

COMPUABLE First Sergeant

>> I could swear that I saw something that actually mentioned cats in the name of the program and it was for protecting the keyboard from accidental keystrokes from cats walking across it. And it's exactly what I need but I can't remember what it was called to save my life. <<

Yes, I think I remember something like that as well from a few years back - I'll have to check my old software archive .exe's that I have backed up on CD's in the closet somewhere.

In any case, I was thinking about your problem earlier today and there is another thing you can do here that requires no additional software to disable keystroke input.

You can simply press and hold down the Windows Key (between Ctrl and Alt) and then press the "L" key every time you are about to walk away from the computer. This will also disallow keyboard input. When you return to the computer; simply point the mouse to your User Name and then click and you have your keyboard functionality restored!

Good Luck!

5. dlb

dlb MajorGeek

Well, I found a prog call "Pawsense" that isn't free and I guess it's supposed to 'detect' the difference between a cat walking on the keyboard and regular typing and will disable the keyboard if needed. I also found a freebie called "ToddlerTrap" that disables the keyboard by creating a small text window and it also disables all the F keys and the Windows key and Esc and CTRL and ALT and all combos there-of... very handy. Hey, thanx Compuable! Good tip! I'll probably use that instead of the programs I found. :D Thanks again!

MajorGeeks.Com Menu

Downloads All In One Tweaks \ Android \ Anti-Malware \ Anti-Virus \ Appearance \ Backup \ Browsers \ CD\DVD\Blu-Ray \ Covert Ops \ Drive Utilities \ Drivers \ Graphics \ Internet Tools \ Multimedia \ Networking \ Office Tools \ PC Games \ System Tools \ Mac/Apple/Ipad Downloads

Other News: Top Downloads \ News (Tech) \ Off Base (Other Websites News) \ Way Off Base (Offbeat Stories and Pics)

Social: Facebook \ YouTube \ Twitter \ Tumblr \ Pintrest \ RSS Feeds