Organize Folders

Discussion in 'Software' started by jamepc, Sep 29, 2007.

1. jamepc

jamepc Private E-2

Before I start transferring files, installing programs etc on my new computer, I have a few questions regarding organizing the folders. I have 2 hard drives (no raid).

1. What’s the best way to separate the files on the 2 drives? OS and programs on one and Data on the other?

2. I can see how to put personal data (pictures, movies, documents, etc) on the 2nd drive but what about stuff like .pst files, firefox profiles, QuickBooks files etc? Should I move the files that I can where I can direct the associated programs to look to (I think pst files and QB files can be moved and have the programs look to the new drive)?

3. Why is there a Programs File folder and a Programs File (x86) folder? I assume only 32 bit programs are installed in the x86 folder (this is on an HP HDX laptop w/ Vista 64 bit)?

Any other tips on organizing folders are appreciated.

Thanks,
    Jamie

2. bigbazza

bigbazza R.I.P. 14/12/2011 - Good Onya Geek

I try to keep as much stuff out of c:\Program Files as I can.
    I have created 2 Folders, c:\Keepers and c:\Testing.
    I test out new programs in c:\testing (doh).
    When I am happy with them I uninstall and re-install in c:\Keepers. (double doh). :D

That way you can more easily keep an eye on new stuff you are testing and Keepers that you may no longer use. If everything goes into c:\program Files you tend to lose track amongst all the programs there. IMO, of course.

Some programs insist on installing in c:\Program Files. Terrorist programming, Delusions of grandeur and lack of imagination (lazy) programming I call it. I like to keep control over my programs if possible.;)

Hope this stirs up a bit of the old grey matter, for consideration.
    Bazza

===

3. augiedoggie

augiedoggie The Canadian Loon - LocoAugie (R.I.P. 2012)

I can only talk about XPP as I've been too lazy to try this in Vista yet. I install my apps to a new partition if possible and data to yet another one, makes it easier to back-up and reformat if all heck breaks out, at least you won't have to reinstall your apps or lose your data, at least it's been successful for me through several reformats over 5 years. I've also stolen MG's way of classifying programs, each one in it's own folder. This way, I know what's what instaed of 'setup.xxx'.

Hehe, OK bb I'm not plagiarizing.:)

4. jamepc

jamepc Private E-2

Thanks for the replies.
    If there's a major malfunction and the OS needs to be reinstalled, won't the apps also have to be reinstalled even if they're on a different partition or drive due to the fact that when software is installed it modifies the OS/registry?

Thanks again,
    Jamie

5. usafveteran

usafveteran MajorGeek

Yes, that's normally the case. So, I see no particular advantage to installing programs on a different drive. However, I like bigbazza's method of keeping programs that he considers as under testing separated from the Program Files folder. But, that could be done on the same drive/partition as the one that the regular Program Files folder is on.

6. shanemail

shanemail Fold On

I have 2 hard drives

Drive 1
    C: Windows ME (15 GB)
    D: Programs (45GB) - next reformat this one will go, it has less than a GB in it.
    E: Windows XP (15 GB)

Drive 2
    F: Page File (10 GB) - next reformat this will go back onto the Windows XP partition for memory dump purposes
    G: Data (290 GB)

I keep the OS on one hard drive with the program files because a lot of them want to be in Program files anyway, you don't always have a choice.

On the second drive I have a small partition for the page file

and the rest of it is where I store

Data, Games, Desktop, Favorites & the Flashget download directory.

I further breakdown the 'data' into

ST_A (miscellaneous)
    ST_B (Business)
    ST_C (Computer)
    ST_D (Downloads)
    ST_E (Employment)

etc etc - ST Being my initials, just makes them easy to keep an eye on and back up.

If the OS or the hard drive it is on gets weird all of the good stuff is still safe.

Within the Downloads folder I keep another series of folders that contain all of the setup/installers for the programs I see as essential including drivers, security programs, Windows media player, IE etc (even adobe :crap)

So as long as you have them handy, reinstalling them is no big deal anyway.

Tweak_UI is what I use to move the Desktop and Favorites to where i want them - for backup purposes
    You don't want to lose your favorites/bookmarks
    I tend to just place a lot of stuff on the desktop and sort it out later (not recommended as it gets out of control fairly quickly :eek:)

7. bigbazza

bigbazza R.I.P. 14/12/2011 - Good Onya Geek

Go for it, guys, if the idea appeals to you. It reminds me (C:/Testing), that I have been slack and haven't made up my mind about any programs there. :eek:

Also I can check out c:/Keepers for those I thought was a good idea at the time :D but rarely use after the initial burst of enthusiasm. :)

Bazza

MajorGeeks.Com Menu

Downloads All In One Tweaks \ Android \ Anti-Malware \ Anti-Virus \ Appearance \ Backup \ Browsers \ CD\DVD\Blu-Ray \ Covert Ops \ Drive Utilities \ Drivers \ Graphics \ Internet Tools \ Multimedia \ Networking \ Office Tools \ PC Games \ System Tools \ Mac/Apple/Ipad Downloads

Other News: Top Downloads \ News (Tech) \ Off Base (Other Websites News) \ Way Off Base (Offbeat Stories and Pics)

Social: Facebook \ YouTube \ Twitter \ Tumblr \ Pintrest \ RSS Feeds