Ever wanted a breakdown of what is using all those svchost.exe processes?

Discussion in 'Software' started by Adrynalyne, Sep 30, 2007.

1. Adrynalyne

Adrynalyne Guest

If you have Windows XP Pro or Vista (tested on Home Premium), there is a neat command line program to tell you what services are running with your processes.

First, setup Task Manager to be more useful.

Press Ctrl-Alt-Del to go to Task Manager, then click on the processes tab.

Go to View, Select Column and put a check box in PID.

Now each process has an ID.

Now bring up a command prompt (cmd.exe).

Type:

tasklist /svc

Hit ENTER.

It will list all of your processes broken down with services. You can verify that you are looking at the processes you want by comparing the PID in task manager to the PID shown in the command line.

Attached Files:

2. baklogic

baklogic The Tinkerer

Very useful.

3. augiedoggie

augiedoggie The Canadian Loon - LocoAugie (R.I.P. 2012)

Last edited by a moderator: Oct 1, 2007
  4. Adrynalyne

Adrynalyne Guest

Yeah, but it doesnt show the particular services by name,a s Im showing in the CLI.

Not in that screenie anyway.

5. augiedoggie

Here ya go Adryn, It's easier for me to use Process Explorer but to each their own.

[​IMG]

6. augiedoggie

Same info as as my above screenie with display name added, I know you don't like to depend on 3rd party stuff.;)

[​IMG]

7. bigbazza

bigbazza R.I.P. 14/12/2011 - Good Onya Geek

How did you get your display in Process Explorer? I am using XP Pro SP2. Is it a Vista feature? Or is there a drop down item I have to tick (check) on? :confused Bazza

===

8. augiedoggie

Just double click or right click the process you want to investigate and click on the 'services' tab. That screenie was from XPP SP2.

9. bigbazza

bigbazza R.I.P. 14/12/2011 - Good Onya Geek

Thanks augiedoggie. :cool So much to learn, so little time. :D Bazza

===

10. Adrynalyne

Adrynalyne Guest

Thank you augie!

Thats the info I wanted posted here, that apparently Steve_East9 wasn't capable of providing, or rather it was too many screenshots.

Thanks.

My only question remaining would be...

The services registered to the process, does it show just what is running, or does it lump them all together?

11. augiedoggie

I believe you may have missed post #12 where all services are shown belonging to the PID in question

12. Adrynalyne

Adrynalyne Guest

Nope, didn't miss it. Just didn't see a PID in the screenshot ;)

What I meant by 'lump together' is, does it show what services are registered that are running and nonrunning at the time? Or just running?

Last edited by a moderator: Oct 1, 2007
  13. Adrynalyne

Adrynalyne Guest

MajorGeeks.Com Menu

Downloads All In One Tweaks \ Android \ Anti-Malware \ Anti-Virus \ Appearance \ Backup \ Browsers \ CD\DVD\Blu-Ray \ Covert Ops \ Drive Utilities \ Drivers \ Graphics \ Internet Tools \ Multimedia \ Networking \ Office Tools \ PC Games \ System Tools \ Mac/Apple/Ipad Downloads

Other News: Top Downloads \ News (Tech) \ Off Base (Other Websites News) \ Way Off Base (Offbeat Stories and Pics)

Social: Facebook \ YouTube \ Twitter \ Tumblr \ Pintrest \ RSS Feeds