cpu priority

Discussion in 'Software' started by shanemail, Sep 30, 2007.

1. shanemail

shanemail Fold On

Hi

Just wondering if anyone has played around with the cpu priority setting in
    'client.cfg'

default setting is 'idle' which is 0
    have mine on 'low' which is 96

I'm assuming that means fah will use 4% of the cpu regardless of anything else going on ??

Wouldn't mind forcing it up to 90 (10%)

Will wait till my current WU is finished and may give it a go for the next one

(have lost WU's before from changing settings)

2. shanemail

shanemail Fold On

Doesn't appear to do anything, set it to 50
    started playing a game which uses 95% +
    and Folding just cuts out while i am gaming.

No big deal

Have to say I am impressed at how easily Folding at home returns resources for use by other applications as needed.

For anyone out there considering giving Folding a go, who is worried about Folding at home using up vital computer resources and slowing your computer - it is not an issue, when needed it is returned instantaneously :)

3. The_Box.

The_Box. Private E-2

I do agree, I have found that most of my apps. work fine along side F@H.

However, I have found that it is not compatible with BF2. When I start up BF2 (a full screen game) the screen just minimizes and is unable to be maximized. If anyone has a suggestion that might fix this please let me know. Until then, I will just continue to shut down F@H while I play.

4. BCGray

BCGray Guest

Sometimes we Folding Geeks can take Folding to an obsession. Remember Folding is like donating to your favourite charity, nobody would expect you to empty your bank account and starve just to support a charity. The same holds true for Folding, its fun and for a good cause, but its your PC, so shutting down folding for ANY app that needs it, is the right thing to do.

There are 624 folders on the Major Geeks team only 84 are "Active" that means the rest got frustrated and quit and probable removed F@H. Keep it fun gang, and you will still be doing it five years from now.

Way to go The_Box and a warm welcome to the Major Geeks Folding Posse

[​IMG]

5. shanemail

shanemail Fold On

Being obsessed is fun :D

6. The_Box.

The_Box. Private E-2

Thanks for the welcome, I'm glad to be apart of it.

shanemail:

“Passion is a positive obsession. Obsession is a negative passion.” -Paul Carvel

So be passionate, obsession is no good. :p

7. BCGray

BCGray Guest

roflmaoroflmao Just remember shanemail the boys with the "White Jackets" love to pick-up the obsessed too :eek:D

8. shanemail

shanemail Fold On

why do things by half measures :eek: :D

anyway I thought passion was a type of fruit :p

9. BILLMCC66

BILLMCC66 Bionic Belgian

i see some people with concerns over CPU usage i had my doubt at first but having been folding without problems for a while i do not have any problems letting my CPU run at 100%.

it does not overheat

TOSHIBA MK4025GAS 39 °C (102 °F)

it does not use a lot of power.

CPU Core 1.24 V

and thats at full power.

CPU #1 100 %

when i need resourses it automatically give it to me so no need to shut down F@H.

come on guys n gals support your MGs team an dive in.

[​IMG]

MajorGeeks.Com Menu

Downloads All In One Tweaks \ Android \ Anti-Malware \ Anti-Virus \ Appearance \ Backup \ Browsers \ CD\DVD\Blu-Ray \ Covert Ops \ Drive Utilities \ Drivers \ Graphics \ Internet Tools \ Multimedia \ Networking \ Office Tools \ PC Games \ System Tools \ Mac/Apple/Ipad Downloads

Other News: Top Downloads \ News (Tech) \ Off Base (Other Websites News) \ Way Off Base (Offbeat Stories and Pics)

Social: Facebook \ YouTube \ Twitter \ Tumblr \ Pintrest \ RSS Feeds