Windows Media Player Running the CPU at max

Discussion in 'Software' started by basketball, Sep 30, 2007.

1. basketball

basketball Private E-2

Hi,
    This happened about two or three days ago, when i started playing a playlist of music in the windows media player 11 in my laptop, CPU started to run around 100% (Core 2 DUO 1.6ghz) consistently and even when i stop playing songs CPU was at about 85%, and I was not using any other application that require lot of CPU usage. Another thing i noticed was that memory was running normal, around 30% (I have 2GB of memory).
    When i close the media player it returns to normal speed (CPU). I even tried rolling back to WMP 9, no luck. My laptop works fine when WMP is not opened and there aren't any error messages even when WMP is running the CPU 100%.
    Only things that might have contributed to this problem are uninstalling URGE, Realplayer, and Winamp before this problem started.

Any help would be appreciated
    Thanx

2. basketball

basketball Private E-2

BTW, I have been using the WMP11 since I got my laptop (end of august 2007) and I also ran AVG virus scan, Spybot Scan and CCleaner. There were no viruses nor spyware and registry issued fixed by CCleaner did not help

3. dlb

dlb MajorGeek

This won't fix the problem, but maybe try a 3rd party media player like VLC or Gom or Media Player Classic. If the problem persists with a 3rd party player, then you know it's an OS issue and not just in the media player....

4. bigbazza

bigbazza R.I.P. 14/12/2011 - Good Onya Geek

If you couldn't solve your problem, I was going to recommend Musicmatch Jukebox (MMJB). But googling for the latest version I see that it was taken over by Yahoo, then discontinued by them and forcing users to use a "new" Yahoo product.

Reading the reviews of the old and new Yahoo versions I am not going to suggest "MMJB" as an alternative. I'll be sticking with what appears to be the last non-Yahoo version. (8.10.2017CJJ).

You can't even go back to www.oldversion.com for older versions of MMJB as Yahoo have forced them to re-route all requests to the Yahoo versions. It is a pity that Yahoo can't stand the old competition and persist in what is apparently an inferior version to the old MMJB.

Hope you solve your existing problem instead. :major

Bazza

5. basketball

basketball Private E-2

thanx for replying, other media players (VLC, SonicStage) I have works fine. I kind a like WMP11 over other players ( i guess for the look, WMP toolbar and media buttons on my laptop work with it).

6. basketball

basketball Private E-2

I even did system restore, and did not work, any ideas what the problem is?

7. samtal

samtal Corporal

A few ideas.

1. try process explorer to find out more about cpu usage
    http://majorgeeks.com/Process_Explorer_d4566.html

2. update the drivers from the manufacturer's websites

Odds are the (my computer, select properties, hardware, device manager)
    will tell you it can't find a better driver and if so you will need to google the web for the firmware for your card.

3. You might also want to download the k-lite codec pack or something similar from the web to make sure your codec's are up to date

8. basketball

basketball Private E-2

Which card are you referring to in # 2?
    thanx for replying

9. samtal

samtal Corporal

10. basketball

basketball Private E-2

I could not find any updates (I have a new DELL VOSTRO 1500, that was released this summer), and surprisingly WMP works integrated in Firefox without any unusual CPU activity when I'm streaming.

MajorGeeks.Com Menu

Downloads All In One Tweaks \ Android \ Anti-Malware \ Anti-Virus \ Appearance \ Backup \ Browsers \ CD\DVD\Blu-Ray \ Covert Ops \ Drive Utilities \ Drivers \ Graphics \ Internet Tools \ Multimedia \ Networking \ Office Tools \ PC Games \ System Tools \ Mac/Apple/Ipad Downloads

Other News: Top Downloads \ News (Tech) \ Off Base (Other Websites News) \ Way Off Base (Offbeat Stories and Pics)

Social: Facebook \ YouTube \ Twitter \ Tumblr \ Pintrest \ RSS Feeds