Microsoft Croaks GASP!

Discussion in 'Software' started by candive, Sep 30, 2007.

1. candive

candive Corporal

Microsoft Updates failed. :fart

Now Microsoft tells me instead of doing a complete re install I am able to PURCHASE a WGA kit for $199.oo :D:wave

Did somebody say Money Grab!!! (or) Pish.

This time I will completely format my HDD, then load Only Ubuntu Feisty Fawn 7.04:major

I would like to get my PC running to my satisfaction before Christmas. :cry:tas

2. DavidGP

DavidGP MajorGeeks Forum Administrator - Grand Pooh-Bah Staff Member

If update failed and you did not decide to call MS up to challenge the WGA failure then you likely have non-legit XP???? this is your problem and not MS's

Enjoy Linux as FF is good choice.... but be weary that software is different and not all same Windows applications are available for *nix, many come unstuck in not going into linux with open eyes.

3. candive

candive Corporal

All My copies are legal, I used my Win XP Pro to "FIXMBR" on my Media PC after a bothched Ubuntu removal. (Grub Loader)

I have been at this for many day and still NO SOUND, I thought the Synaptic Package Manager was the answer.
    when It did not work I thought I shound pick my face back up off my Laptop.

I now understand why more people are not using some form of Linux IT'S A rOYAL pAIN iN tHE aSSSSSSSSSSSS.

i HAD ISSUES WITH MY LAPTOP AND lINUX IN THE PAST, IT SEEMS THEY STILL CANNOT COMMUNICATE.
    SORRY ABOUT cAPS NOT YELLING TO BUSY WATCHING MY HEAD STRIKE THeddd KEYBOARd. :drool:zzz:zzz

I just don't get it why is sound such a 'jqwhng Issue?

:banghead:banghead
    Sorry thats me knodding off , Good night just when i think i have the problem by the it,s not there.

4. Mimsy

Mimsy Superior Imperial Queen of the MG Games Forum

Is your laptop on this page?

I'm using Ubuntu Feisty on my laptop, after a few months each of both Dapper and Edgy, and I have had sound since day one. Not very good, granted, that took some trial and error, but it plays my music and YouTube favorites, not to mention my games.

Most likely the driver for your soundcard/chipset wasn't on the Ubuntu CD, and you need to manually install that. The Ubuntu forum community is very friendly and helpful, if you need more details on which driver to use and where to find it.

5. candive

candive Corporal

??????? That last post was not entirely mine!

Not Funny !!

6. Adrynalyne

Adrynalyne Guest

Looks like your user ID?!

7. candive

candive Corporal

Mimsy,
    Thank you I will take a look.

8. Major Attitude

Major Attitude Co-Owner MajorGeeks.Com Staff Member

Sounds like your problems are not Windows, but someone else using your machine with no regards for the consequences

9. candive

candive Corporal

Adrynalyne,
    I can not explain it.
    I can only say I did not write the entire thread.
    I have no idea what the acronym means.

10. candive

candive Corporal

Can it be remote?
    No one in my home touches my laptop.
    Unless my three year old is a genius, I wish!

11. Adrynalyne

Adrynalyne Guest

Well, its as MA said then. Someone has control of your machine. Either physically, or remotely.

The edits didn't come from our end, as the post would have said edited by....

12. Adrynalyne

Adrynalyne Guest

13. candive

candive Corporal

Adrynalyne,

Thanks, my laptop has been completely formated twice since the post in question.

Lucky for me I back up regularly. (my data) :)

All you can do is laugh and move on.

Mimsy,

I was unable to find any reference to my exact model ( PSPA3C-MA202C )
    I don't know if it has to match exactly?
    I updated my BIOs from v2.4 to v3.80 it made no difference.
    I have tried all the sugestions except one, I will try again after Thanksgiving in Canada.

Major Attitude,

Thanks

14. Mimsy

Mimsy Superior Imperial Queen of the MG Games Forum

Neither do I, unfortunately. If you had a Compaq Evo N410c I could probably give you specifics, but my knowledge of laptop drivers is limited to that one. So rather than speculate wildly and get you into serious trouble, I'll just back away for now.

Good luck!

15. DavidGP

DavidGP MajorGeeks Forum Administrator - Grand Pooh-Bah Staff Member

Candive, just in case this could be a possible to how someone posted in your name, do you use any public accessable PCs, work, library etc if you do remember to log off MGs when finished with the site and then clear temp and cookies from IE or other browser.

16. candive

candive Corporal

Halo,
    Sorry for the delay I have been unable till now to open this thread.
    I used an unsecured public wireless access point once with my laptop.
    I believe I may have been dupped into clicking a convincing looking link.

MajorGeeks.Com Menu

Downloads All In One Tweaks \ Android \ Anti-Malware \ Anti-Virus \ Appearance \ Backup \ Browsers \ CD\DVD\Blu-Ray \ Covert Ops \ Drive Utilities \ Drivers \ Graphics \ Internet Tools \ Multimedia \ Networking \ Office Tools \ PC Games \ System Tools \ Mac/Apple/Ipad Downloads

Other News: Top Downloads \ News (Tech) \ Off Base (Other Websites News) \ Way Off Base (Offbeat Stories and Pics)

Social: Facebook \ YouTube \ Twitter \ Tumblr \ Pintrest \ RSS Feeds