Company of Heroes - Random freezes after a reformat?

Discussion in 'Software' started by Heskey, Sep 30, 2007.

1. Heskey

Heskey Private First Class

Hey guys,

My PC specs are:

AMD 64bit Athlon 3700+, 2.2gHz
    2GB DDR RAM
    nVidia GeForce 4 7600, 256MB
    600W PSU

I've just reformatted my PC and began to install everything back; Company of Heroes is behaving a little odd though - I don't have the expansion pack, though the original game is fully patched - And like I say, this is like... Reformat Day +2?

First, when going through the tutorial again (it's been a while), the game just froze when the engineers on the first mission were 'assigned to another task' - Alt+Ctrl+Del, Alt+F4, Windows, ESC didn't work - I had to press the restart button.

Secondly, I was on the first mission (D-Day) and paused it whilst I went to make food; when I came back it had frozen again, and like above only restarting my PC sorted it.

Inbetween these 2 problems I've had 2 full, 40 minute skirmishes with the PC and not had a problem.

I'm just a little concerned considering I've only just reformatted - What's happening here? :)

- Heskey

P.S. I had no problems between December-April when I had a case without fans; since then I've got an Antec case with 4 gigantic fans in it; so I wouldn't blame heating :D

2. Mimsy

Mimsy Superior Imperial Queen of the MG Games Forum

If you just reformatted, check that you have all your drivers fully up to date, I always forget that. Especially the graphics driver. :)

3. Heskey

My PC and drivers are up to date, it's just happened with Medieval II : Total War as well, except what happened was:

My screen froze for 10 seconds
    Then my mouse froze for about 5 seconds
    Then my PC restarted itself automatically.

Since then I've turned automatic PC restarts off.

Wierd, cause it's been playing fine the last 2 days!

Any more help guys?

4. Heskey

Medieval 2: It's just done it again; it played fine for nearly 4 hours until in the middle of the battle it stopped responding (Mouse and sound still worked) then it alt tabbed me, altered my screen (note the old style recycle bin) and gave me this error:

http://img411.imageshack.us/img411/8834/errorbg0.jpg

I've experience restarts due to nv4_disp in the past, but no one seemed to have a clue what to do about it. Any ideas?

PS. Yes my graphics driver is up to date, I got it when I reformatted a few days ago (Yes I'm sure I got the right one...)

5. ibbonkers

ibbonkers First Sergeant

It could be a bad driver. try downloading the previous version of the driver to see if that solves the issue

6. Heskey

I've downloaded the latest chipset drivers (Which I believe haven't changed in 2 years), and the latest manufacture-specific graphics drivers (Rather than the over-all nVidia ones) and I'll see if this resolves the issue; a reply might take a few days :)

7. Heskey

I updated by gfx and mobo drivers, though I don't think they're newer than my 'old' drivers.

Just been playing as England for a good 4 hours without a problem - As soon as I flip to the Holy Roman Empire campaign, I get this error within about 20 mins:

http://img160.imageshack.us/img160/9339/error2kj7.jpg

(NOTE: I wasn't entering a battle)

I've had this error before back in June on a fresh reformat. Funnily enough I just thought; I've only EVER got this error when playing as the Holy Roman Empire. Think there's something to that?

For the record my card plays M2 fine when it's working; I set the graphics lower than the recommended settings for a smooth game.

Any ideas?

8. Heskey

Well, Company of Heroes just played a whole mission, then shut down during the interlude cinamatic giving me a BSOD saying nv4_disp.dll is the file in question ;)

Soooooo, I'd say I'm gonna roll back a few drivers; problem is, is if you google 'nv4_disp.dll' and look at the dates of when people've had this problem, it goes like, all the way back to 2003 = /

9. leoleotheiii

leoleotheiii Private First Class

sounds like a crippled gfx card to me, i had a x1900gt from sapphire that had same problem and the drivers kept crashing (only more frequent), try underclocking it. And this is just random, what PSU are u using?

MajorGeeks.Com Menu

Downloads All In One Tweaks \ Android \ Anti-Malware \ Anti-Virus \ Appearance \ Backup \ Browsers \ CD\DVD\Blu-Ray \ Covert Ops \ Drive Utilities \ Drivers \ Graphics \ Internet Tools \ Multimedia \ Networking \ Office Tools \ PC Games \ System Tools \ Mac/Apple/Ipad Downloads

Other News: Top Downloads \ News (Tech) \ Off Base (Other Websites News) \ Way Off Base (Offbeat Stories and Pics)

Social: Facebook \ YouTube \ Twitter \ Tumblr \ Pintrest \ RSS Feeds