Broken Sound Events--How To Fix

Discussion in 'Software' started by Adrynalyne, Oct 1, 2007.

1. Adrynalyne

Adrynalyne Guest

I have not verified this for Vista yet, but its valid for all flavors of XP.

------

Sometimes, you see issues when you have Sound Events set in the control panel, but they never work. Yet, you can play the file fine.

Cause: A corrupt registry entry at HKEY_CURRENT_USER

Resolution: Delete the Default value on the right hand side. The value is blank when it is corrupt, and when you delete it, the value rebuilds.

Reboot.

2. Maxwell

Maxwell Folgers

Do you mean the Default value at HKEY_CURRENT_USER\AppEvents\EventLabels\.Default which on my WinXP system is set to "Default Beep" or some other key/value? Note, I don't have aproblem with sound events set via the control panel.

Vista appears to have the same registry key: http://msdn2.microsoft.com/en-us/library/aa511278.aspx

3. Adrynalyne

Adrynalyne Guest

No, its specifically the key I mentioned, at the very beginning of the tree.

I can post a screenshot next time I'm on a Windows machine.

4. Maxwell

Maxwell Folgers

You mean...

Attached Files:

5. Adrynalyne

Adrynalyne Guest

Correct. When the condition prescribed here is the case, on the right, it will not say (value not set).

It will be blank.

6. studiot

studiot MajorGeek

Interesting.

The thumnail also describes the Windows 2000 and Windows NT registry at this point. I haven't had the time to check 9x or Vista yet, but will do that tomorrow.

7. Adrynalyne

Adrynalyne Guest

All of the NT based registries will look like that, but if they will all exhibit the problem as it occurs, I know not.

MajorGeeks.Com Menu

Downloads All In One Tweaks \ Android \ Anti-Malware \ Anti-Virus \ Appearance \ Backup \ Browsers \ CD\DVD\Blu-Ray \ Covert Ops \ Drive Utilities \ Drivers \ Graphics \ Internet Tools \ Multimedia \ Networking \ Office Tools \ PC Games \ System Tools \ Mac/Apple/Ipad Downloads

Other News: Top Downloads \ News (Tech) \ Off Base (Other Websites News) \ Way Off Base (Offbeat Stories and Pics)

Social: Facebook \ YouTube \ Twitter \ Tumblr \ Pintrest \ RSS Feeds